• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding!!

Princess Jess*

Warren Scout
Hello :wave:

Just want some advice!!

I have a male and female bun that I'd like to bond for companionship :) Marmite (male) has been castrated 4 weeks ago and Minka (female) has not yet been speyed but will be. They seem to really get on well when they are faced with eachother through pens and I don't know whether to bond them now and then get Minka speyed in about 6 months once their relationship together is well bonded or wait another 10 weeks and have Minka done and then pair them. Any suggestions please? xxx

I think you're meant to wait for about 8 weeks after getting the male done.
Also I think it'd be more likely to work if the female was spayed already, as it makes her less hormonal so she may not turn aggressive.

8 WEEKS!?!?!? REALLY???

Thats a VERY long time!! Minka is 14 weeks old now...so she can't be speyed til she's atleast 5 months anyway!!! So I'm just wondering if to pair them up now and have her speyed when she's about 6 months!?

If you bond them now and then get her spayed you may have to then re-bond them after the op as she will need to be kept on her own for a few days to help her recover. There are lots of threads discussing this so might be a good idea to have a read through other peoples experiences. I personally only have experience of bonding an un-neutered male with a spayed female and then getting him done.

The male will still be fertile for up to 8 weeks following his neuter. Your vet really should have you made you aware of this. Assuming you wouldne be happy having done the responsible thing and paid for bunny to be neutered only to find your girl giving birth!
If your really desperate you could try to bond them in 8 weeks but would be better to wait until the girl is spayed and recovered as girls tend to be the more aggressive and territorial (at least in my experience).

Do not bond them now! I was told at least 6 weeks prefereably 8 weeks after a males op before he can be put with an un-neutered female.

Back