• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dog crate for 2 buns?

Phoebesmummy9

Warren Veteran
Do you think one of the largest dog crates you can get, would accomidate 2 buns?
The indoor cage there in atm dont really have much space for them, so they spend most of there time out the cage. My new job starts soon which means, in the morning till about 1:15 there gunna be in the cage
Do you think a large dog crate, with a 2nd layer being made with nic cubes would be plenty of space?
Links/photos/comments appreciated!
Vikkie :D

yeah i'm sure it would, i'm sure they get for a run in the evening time. i got one of the smaller dog crates for when they had spays but it was only big enough cos i didn't want them to exercise to much, but i'm one of this big ones would be good with the nic cubes. have a look at the housing section to see some other sets people have. theres a sticky with loads of links in there. :wave:

My holiday bunny has a dog crate and I pimped it up with some nic cubes for the duration of his stay! looks well good! Would want a bigger cage for my 2 though, need to ask Liza his owner, what size the cage is!

Your other option could be to get a good quality puppy pen and have an extra exercise area round their cage? I got one on ebay..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300276431212

This is good advice. I put 1 of these around 1 of the large dog crates for mine when I had them inside with the door constantly open. If you have carpet you could try putting down a plastic sheet and then towels over it if you are worried about little accidents.

The area the cage is, isnt big enough to have one of those permanentley attached.
What size crate would I need for 2 bunnys? You can get diffo sizes and im not quite sure what one to get :oops:

I have a 48" one that I got for £20 on ebay. If you already have NIC cubes though you can make a bigger area with 2 packs of them.

48" is only 4ft so im not sure its big enough for two bunnies unless it really is for a short space of time. 2 packs of NIC cubes can make a 6ft by 3 ft enclosure with a part second level.

What size crate would I need for 2 bunnys? You can get diffo sizes and im not quite sure what one to get :oops:

Get the biggest you have space for, it's worth it for them to be able to hop around.

The area the cage is, isnt big enough to have one of those permanentley attached.

Could you just attach the pen while you are out if they do need to be contained then take it down when you need the space?

It's in the passage so not really. They do get alot of free range time, so if i get a dog crate, theyll be let out as soon as im home and not put back in the cage till about 11ish!

Have you ever seen a 48" one up so you can see how big it is? i can take a pic of mine with litter tray etc in so u can see how much space they would have.

Sorry my internet is soooo slow today and i have to keep stopping to tell strawberry off- he is being so naughty tonight.

Photos arent great quality and my photobucket has crashed so I cant rotate it back round!!!

DSCF9916.jpg

DSCF9920-1.jpg

I have a large crate, i think its 42inch, however they are free range all night/morn, and only go away while we are at work, max 6 hours - sleepy time!!

The one in the pic is 48", we only use it so that Strawberry has somewhere to have his water, hay and a litter tray while he is free range dowmstairs in the evening. During the day and overnight he is upstairs in an NIC set up that is 6ft by 3ft with two levels.

Thanks for the piccies hun! Is that the biggest 1 u can get? I think ill get that one and modify the inside with a 2nd layer!
Indie - theyll only be in it during the night and the morning, theyll have free run from about 1:30 till 11ish at night

Its the biggest one I could find- I got it from ebay. It was £20 and we collected to save on postage. The bottom tray was metal so I brought some cheap lino tiles from BnQ to make it a bit nicer and it folds flat for storage/transport (although is very heavy and is still 4ft across when folded).

When I am on holiday during the summer Strawberry and his wifey, when we get her, will be living in it for two weeks at my parents with free range in their kitchen.

There are some 50-54'' cages kicking around the internet but they are quite hard to find!

I have a 48'' cage with a 2nd level that houses 2 rabbits during the day while I'm at work. I let them run around in the morning and as soon as I get in from work. Sometimes they seem quite happy just to stay in the cage even though they've been in there all day!

Dog crates aren't the perfect solution for rabbit housing but I'm sure they are getting a far better quality of life than being ignored in a cold hutch at the bottom of the garden!

Well tbh the dog cage is alot better than the cage there in atm! Itll be under the stairs and opened up so they can run about the house as soon as im in.
Matt my holiday bunny seems so so happy in his :love: and there quite easy to clean!

Back