• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Too soon?

Jazzy B Bunny

Wise Old Thumper
How long would you say is too soon to get another bun after losing one? I think for me personally getting another would help me with the pain, but my family think its too soon. They think I'm just 'replacing him' which im not. Its not like that at all.

Well i lost my harvey on the 5th and a couple of days later i said we need another bun to keep toffee happy... so we searched for a rescue and picked out two...

theres never a wrong or right time to get a new bun after loosing one... its whenever you are ready. you arent replacing the old one just bringing more into the family... Its whenever you feel ready to move on...
x

I think its different for everybody. Some people have to fill the gap where as others i think like to hold onto the memorys. It took me quite a while to get over my mopsy, but i knew when i could actually have another bunny :)

I think only you know :D
x

i agree i think whenever you feel ready to get another bun you should, and yes it wont replace your old one but you will grow to love this new one and it will help you move on :)

I've seen it written as 'when you remember the memories with smiles instead of tears' but to be honest I think I will always have a little cry over my lost little ones every now and then for many years into the future.

I have given it a month since losing Luna and whilst I feel ready (still with great sadness, but there are always bunnies in need of a home) my husband still isn't completely ready and I think it will be a few months yet for him.

I would wait slightly longer than a few days, for my own benefit, because I know how my own emotions work and whilst it won't be replacing Luna, I will feel like I'm putting a ‘band-aid over the wound’ to heal it. I know if I do that then, when I lose the next bunny, it will feel like losing Luna all over again because I never truly got over the raw grief of her death and it will be double the hit.

Only time will tell, and only you will know when you are ready *hug*

There's no right or wrong in this situation sweetie. You have to do what's right for you.

No one will ever replace your bunny who passed away, but that doesn't mean that you can't love another bun either.

Did your bun have a husbun/wife?? That will play a huge part in your decision.

Good luck, I know it's not easy.

Hugs.

As everyone else has said, its when you feel ready and there is no right or wrong.
I lost Blackie 3 weeks ago today and for me its far too soon and i would feel like i was replacing him, even though it wouldnt be. I have 5 other bunnies to take care of so thats my priority ATM.

I hope you decide and make sure you decide whats best for YOU no one else. If you think it would help then go for it:D

Good Luck on what you decide :D:wave:

im terrible for replacing :oops::oops: id probably have a new bunny/chippie within the week :oops:

if you need a new bunny dont feel bad, they fill the hole in the heart but in a different way, its not really replacing because they are indiviuals and cannot be compared

you'll know when your ready :wave: after thumper died i got rosie a month after, and after mitzi left i got mowgli 8months after

Its different with everyone i think.
Last month when i lost Rory, i had a new friend for Flopsy within the week as she was so lonely

Its just I dont like looking at his empty hutch :cry: I dont there will ever be a right or wrong time either its just my family, but at the end of the day they are my rabbits. I am the one who deals with them on a daily basis. Im thinking of going to have a look at pets at home adoption centre tomorrow. Just to see whos availble.

i rescued another one within a week of losing kieren,there was one up for adoption the same as he was, black and white spots but i just couldnt face one the same as he was, so i got lester whos a white lop i knew if i had got the other one i would want him to be the same and it wouldnt be fair. you will know the time is right.

I don't think there is any need to wait, personally I would probably be looking straight away. I love keeping pets and would be excited about the thought of a new addition. This doesn't detract at all from your loss in my opinion, you can still grieve but will just have something positive to think about as well :)

I just think it would help me to get over the loss. My family want me to wait though. I know what I want, but im worried about the reaction I'll get from my family.

it helped me cope because had to give him love and attention, your not replacing eclipse your giving another bun a chance for a better life, hes watching over you from the bridge and he wouldnt want you to be upset. like you said the buns are your responsibility so your family cant really say anything, if you want another one go for it

I just think it would help me to get over the loss. My family want me to wait though. I know what I want, but im worried about the reaction I'll get from my family.
i wouldn't worry about your family at the end of the day it's your feelings that are the most important, i think you should go and look at some rescue buns and see if one catches your heart then you'll know if it's the right decision or not. if you don't that special bun then you can give yourself some time. maybe move the hutch somewhere where you won't be looking at it everyday. hope you feel better soon and don't feel pressured to do anything, just do what makes you feel better. good luck hun

Hi. I don't think that getting another bunster will make any difference either way to how you cope with the loss. If you feel that you are happy to have another one now, then that's right for you. Don't let anyone make you feel that you are replacing your bunster..you're not. There are so many rescue bunnies desperate for a loving home so I think you should go right on ahead.
<<hugs>.

Always go with your gut when it comes to your pets. I have always found that. My OH is one to wait until he feel emotionally over a pet to get a new one, i have alwyas got new ones within a few weeks as i have always find that it helps me. It doesn't mean i'm replacing them or that i didn't love them it's just the way i am. Why be miserable trying to get over the loss of a pet, i for one find that the longer i am without a pet the more miserable i get, then again i have always been someone who relies on there pets to make them feel better as i've done this my whole life, my pets are my therapy, i could never be without them

I think I will go and get another one. My mum just keeps saying that she doesnt want to hear anymore about it and my dad just gets annoyed when I bring it up, so im just going to go and do it at some point without telling them. That way they cant complain. :( :)

when willow died,the thought of coming downstairs to an empty room was unbearable.I cried all the time when I saw the gap where her toys etc used to be.We got her ashes back after a week and took them to White Post Farm[where we got her]to scatter them.we had a look at some buns there,took some pictures and thought about it over night.We went back the next day to get Barley.I have no regrets at all.No animal could ever replace Will but Barley gave me a reason to smile again.

Back