• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Off his pellets? Advice please!

BwfcAngel

Mama Doe
Hiya

I took Jess to the vets yesterday cos he'd completely gone off his pellets and didn't seem qute himself. She said his teeth looked ok, she couldn't feel any blockages or masses in his belly and she said he had low gut sounds. She gave him a shot of that gut stimulent, metacam and baytril (she sent some away with me too) and said to keep an eye on him for a couple of days then take him back.

He's eating greens, hay, dandelions etc and when i put his pellets down (mixed with boredom breakers herbs, wood picnic, dried dandelion etc) he eats around the pellets.

Is this selective eating a problem? He has never done it before and the vet said that selective eating is very different to not eating at all.

The only thing i can think of is that when i went out Sat, iasked my brother to come round and feed them, put them away etc. He gave them A&P pellets which they don't normally have which Jess despises and refuses to touch. Im wondering if this has put him off a bit.

Any ideas how i can get him back into his pellets or do you think he'll pick up a bit?

What are his poos like and is he losing weight ?

Poos have been a bit pathetic these last couple of days but he's done a bit pile today which are a little darker than usual but a massive improvement size and colour wise on the past 24 hours. will that shot of gut stimulent have helped?

the vet weighed him. He's a cross german lop and he weighed 3.35 kg. She said it was fine. He's just such a pellet firnd normally thats all. Its just not like him. Will he be ok for a few days on hay and plenty of greens?

the vet weighed him. He's a cross german lop and he weighed 3.35 kg. She said it was fine. He's just such a pellet firnd normally thats all. Its just not like him. Will he be ok for a few days on hay and plenty of greens?

Yes, just keep a close eye on his poo production.
If he is moulting, as everyBun seems to be in my warren, then groom him daily to try to minimise the amount of fur he ingests. Keep his fluids up,water in a bowl rather than a bottle tends to make a Bun drink more. I have found adding some Avipro-C to the water will make my Buns drink twice as much as normal.

Lots of exercise will also help promote good gut motility :)

Yes, just keep a close eye on his poo production.
If he is moulting, as everyBun seems to be in my warren, then groom him daily to try to minimise the amount of fur he ingests. Keep his fluids up,water in a bowl rather than a bottle tends to make a Bun drink more. I have found adding some Avipro-C to the water will make my Buns drink twice as much as normal.

Lots of exercise will also help promote good gut motility :)

Awww thanks Jane! Where could i get Avipro -C?

Back