• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonded Bunnies fighting

jack-brandy

Young Bun
Our male and female bunnies have been living together for a year, but last week Jack had to stay overnight at the vets.
When we brought him home, and introduced him to his partner (Pepper) they chased each other about for a bit and sat together and cleaned each other, and all was fine for about 2 hours, but then they started fighting, and this became very violent.
We have now seperated them, and each time we try to introduce them again, they starting fighting again. The fights have been really awful and Jack has several cuts and on anti-biotics now. We want to put them back together again, can anyone help? Or will we need to seperate them permnantly?

Sounds like they will have to be bonded back to each other going back to square one.
In a neutral area, where they haven't been, supervised for the first 48 hours.

How do we supervise them for 48 hrs? (other than staying up all night) Should we keep re-introducing them for regular sessions over that period of time?

How do we supervise them for 48 hrs? (other than staying up all night) Should we keep re-introducing them for regular sessions over that period of time?

Thats what you do :D
I sleep on the sofa when bonding.
Once put in for bonding, you should not seperat unless lock on bonding, or constant bullying, seperating and re introducing is like starting from scratch each times and also confuses and stresses the buns.

Yeah I agree,you got to set aside ,say a weekend when you have nothing else on.If you have an indoor cage [neutral],you could take it up to bed with you and hopefully you would hear if anything is kicking off.By separating time and again you are breaking any bond that is starting to form and setting the bunnies back.Good luck!:D

Staying up is often what I do every weekend when I am bonding, I have a comfy sofa which comes in useful.

It is best to introduce them on a small area which has been neutralised.

Back