• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New Panacur Information

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Just so you all know and can be aware of it, there is new medical research to suggest that you should do 28 days of Panacur (or with similar treatment) and then it protects them for life (unless you introduce a new bunny). Ask your vet about this as they'll all have this new information.

No, it's a new preventative measure that is given to every rabbit, especially when they are young, and then they are protected for life. the 9 day thing goes out the window.

Yes that's what's discussed in the other thread ;) Still lots of unanswered questions about it though!

I have already done mine for 28 days. My vet advised to do every three months after that as I have a high risk bunny. I think I will continue with that and speak to them next time I go in.

Right so i recently did fidget for 28 days then we got Frankie. So should i do Frankie for 28 days and fidget again for 28 days (not sure how soon after would be suitable though) and then they will both be treated for life?

my vet told me before i adopted pearl that a single house bunny was highly unlikely to need the panacur treatment unless they was already born with the nasties (not a technical term but i cant really remember a year old conversation) and the only way to be sure is to have a blood test done, he even advised me to get pearl tested before they were introduced but i just wanted her too much to go to all that trouble :oops::oops:

so i did the treatment anyhows as he said itd cause no harm to do it :D

one day if im feeling brave ill get the blood test and will know 100% then :D

You would never be able to irradicate the possibility of reinfection unless your bun was moved into an irradiated room during the course & never put back where any other bunnies had been. The damn things can survive anything but the most harsh disinfectants & you would have to scrub every spare inch until you wore your brush bare, in all nooks & crannies & never let them on to the same patch of grass.. It is simply impossible. My EC bun sooty had a 30 days course. Everything was bleached every two days through the course & the floors, skirting board & walls washed daily (he had urinary incontinence) & his new girlfriend shared the course. He was 2.6kg & had two grads daily. His symptoms came back in three months. Another 1 month course stopped it but the symptoms came back again about 6 months after that. The final full course knocked it on the head & with a few 9 days in between we seem to have managed to keep him ok.

It's my belief that it is probably a little like MRSA & other bacteria. Many of us are carriers but it only causes us problems when we are weak and our imune systems can't cope with it. As you can never guarantee that you are free of it I would worm all my buns on a regular basis, be it with a 9 day or what seems to be recomended 28 day once or twice a year.

Last edited:
The problem is though that a recurrence of the symptoms doesn't necessarily mean a recurrence of the infection - it could just be damage done by the original infection flaring up again. There was quite a detailed debate in the thread that SarahP linked to, which included the 'latest' information from the RWA conference and input from Marie K, which sort of clears some of it up...and at the same time makes some of it even more confusing :lol:

It's probably more feasible to eradicate it from the environment if you just have a couple of buns and they either don't go on the lawn or move around different patches of the lawn to exercise.

The problem is though that a recurrence of the symptoms doesn't necessarily mean a recurrence of the infection - it could just be damage done by the original infection flaring up again. .

I would agree but in all the flare ups the incontinence stopped within 3 days of starting panacur again. I'll definately look into the steam cleaning idea but EC is such a nasty way for a bun to go that I don't want to risk sooty's health because a 28 day course should be enough. In his case I don't think it is. It's also something I discussed with our vet last week after the conference.

I'd agree with the possibility that 28 days is probably fine for a bun that has never had active symptoms but I just don't think that you could rule out recontamination. For example what happens if you play with a friend bun and you carry the spores home on your hands, clothing or shoes?

Last edited:
I think it's probably best to do the 28 day course, and if they show symptoms, simply do it again. I don't think you can get rid of it completely, but it may help a little bit.

I've decided I am going to continue using a longer course of Panacur (6 weeks) but will only use it when I gain a new rabbit or suspect active EC. I have my reasons but I will loose the will to live if I have to explain them again. :lol::lol:

I would agree but in all the flare ups the incontinence stopped within 3 days of starting panacur again. I'll definately look into the steam cleaning idea but EC is such a nasty way for a bun to go that I don't want to risk sooty's health because a 28 day course should be enough. In his case I don't think it is. It's also something I discussed with our vet last week after the conference.

I had a similar experience (ie when the buns responded to the Panacur almost immediately, I gained some sort of a feel for how much of it was caused by the spores returning and how much by the permanent problems from the infection). In my case though, I was unaware at the initial time of treatment that I was supposed to be disinfecting with bleach, so I'll never know what would have happened if I'd done that.

Back