• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Age for female spayed?

Sparkle x

Wise Old Thumper
I *think* i have asked this before but cant find it.

Whats best age for a female to be spayed?

As Precious is no longer with Tiffany, due to not getting along with Bo and being a madam, she is now on her own.

She is 4months+

I remember been told the longer you wait the better? Were in no rush to get her done to be fair :)

my vets will spey from 15 weeks aslong as bun is healthy and a decent weight
definately not under 1kg

Some think you should wait longer but we have found they bounce back more quickly if done at a young age and also hormonal behaviour doesn't become a habit

Last edited:
The earliest my vets would do was 6months... BUT when i got Ghostie she was far too frail to be spayed so i had to build her up to a healthy size :wave:

Thanks Hetty.

Thanks Jill, she showed some dominant behaviour when i tried bonding her with Bo, hence why she is on her own now.

What age does it usually kick in?

My vets spayed Flopsy at 4 1/2 - 5 months.
They usually do it anytime from then onwards as long as bunny is in good health and weight

Thanks, will pop into Vets and make appt for Health Check and have a chat with Nurse about her :wave:

It seems that the advice can be confusing. I was sure I'd read that giant buns shouldn't be spayed until 6 months, as they take longer to mature, but my vet says he doesn't like spaying them after they're much older than six months as it's a more difficult operation :roll:

Good luck!

Back