• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

tiny field/wood mouse in the garden, a problem?

Zara

Mama Doe
In my garden we get lots of birds and the odd squirrell because my Gran likes to hang bird food out, and both of us have noticed a cute little field mouse at the back if the garden who seems to be helping himself to the fallen nuts and seeds before scurrying back into the hedge. My Gran has no problems with mousy and it's possible family and I'd like to think they're alright staying there, but my rabbit hutches are outdoors and although they're closed off from the rest of the garden with a run and the rabbits have the run of the patio and kitchen I worry that the mice could pose some sort of a risk.

We had mice in the garden last year too, but we found one dead in the old shed, it had got stuck in a box and must of suffocated, so just incase we've made the shed more tidy since we don't want any more to get killed and no mouse has been in the house.

Still, if anything how can I make sure the mousies arn't encouraged to come closer to the home?

If there is no food left in your hutches overnight (ie not pellets), you should be OK.

I have loads of field mice at the bottom of the garden (my favourite is called Pablo)and they tend to leave the playhouse alone because there is nothing to eat in it. They munch on the birdseed that is around instead.

Apparently, peppermint oil deters mice, so you could try that if you're worried.

I've had mice living under my bunny shed for years. They come into the shed to nick straw and hay for bedding and hunt around for any grass seeds that fall out of the hay. They've never caused any problems for the buns and there's never any bunny food laying around.

Anyway (looks around furtively to see if hubby is watching) I may have been known to put food down for them in the depths of winter - :oops::oops: - they looked cold and I didn't want them to suffer.:roll::roll:

Awwww :lol:

I've decided to make sure that there is no spilt rabbit food around the hutches and I'll sweep up and keep the area clean so the mice won't be interested, I quite like having the mice in the garden, I feel sad that people are forgetting that animals like mice are running out of places to live in the wild. I just hope that they won't get trapped in the old shed this time, I felt really sad about the mouse that died (I'm a big softie)

If I'm lucky enough to spot one nabbing the falling bird seed I'll try to take a picture.

Back