• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

could i use this to flush a dental abcess with?

If it contains doxycycline then I would be concerned about it being used on an abcess that drains orally personally, tetracyclines are normally given by sub-cut injection so as to minimise their impact on gut flora and potential complications such as enterotoxemia. I would check this with your vet but my gut instinct is they would say not to use it.

Although there is a risk of enterotoxaemia with oral doxycycline. the risk is considered small. I have used doxycycline impregnated gels to treat many abscesses and have not had a problem even with the ones that have oral communication. I have doses for oral doxycycline (2.5mg/kg twice daily) also and find it to be a useful drug.

:wave: thankyou ladies:wave:
and thank you rodneyvet,,,very much apreciated..i will actually double check with ellen which gel she will be using too. ;)

this stuff seems ok then.

but sooz and jacks jane im not leaping off a cliff on this one either...i just want to know various opinions and if anyones done this before.

im sorry im just such a mess...tuesday morning looms:(

Back