• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

should i

mini lop1

Wise Old Thumper
give mowgli a 28 dose of lapizole even though he has panacur 4times a year incase his kidney failure is down to EC related symtoms?
someone mentioned it may be worth it although it wont get rid of damage already caused, they were saying 5 1/2yrs is not very old for a rabbit which i know when i hear of other peoples bunnies ages, soo it makes me feel sad :cry: to know he probrably won't get very old just like my other mini lop i lost mitzi at 4yrs 10months :cry:

it makes me feel like ive done something wrong, even though he was diagnosed as a dental bun at 14weeks old by vet but has never needed an opp for this as i managed to control his diet to help him

Lapizole has exactly the same active ingredient as Panacur (Fenbendazole) so there is no point in giving him both.
If your Vet has advised giving him Panacur 4 times a year then I would continue with that. But apparently it is now doubted that a 9 day course 2-4 times a year is of any use in controlling the parasite :?
All recommendations for the 9 day courses were based on a very small study and it seems that many Vets are now advising a one off 28 day course of Panacur or Lapizole (same thing, as I have said), paying particular attention to cleaning the environment (I use a 10% bleach solution) and ensuring feed and water utensils are clean to minimise the risk of reinfection (EC spores are excreted in the urine). Some Vets are now saying that until further research is done there is no need for 2-4 times a year 9 day courses and that a repeat 28 day course would only be required for a new intake Bun or a Bun with clinical symptoms of EC.

Perhaps it would be an idea to speak with the Vet about this again and maybe consider doing a 28 day course of either Panacur or Lapizole every 6 months as Mowgli is definately an EC Bun :?

Yep, there is no evidence that the 9 day course works - the study gave 7 days, introduced EC, gave another 2 days then tested. So not realistically testing as to whether a 9 day course works.

Panacur/Lapizole for 28 days MAY not reverse damage but will stop further damage as it gets rid of the parasite. You MUST make sure you thoroughly clean out with a vet disinfectant at 21 days and 28 days to ensure that there is no parasite left in the environment to reinfect though.

If the problems are caused by inflammation due to EC, then after the treatment you might well see improvements - but it could be months after!

Personally I think giving Panacur/Lapizole is worth it, but as always talk to your vet :thumb:

Back