• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is this mean?- Yey he doesnt need a dental!!!

Snowberry

Wise Old Thumper
Strawberry has been really off his hay recently and is back at the vets tonight for another teeth check. Well last night I didnt give him his pellets as I usually do and just gave him a realy big pile off hay. I also didnt give him any treats all afternoon while he was out and he only had a half portion of veg. Well this morning the hay has nearly gone!!!

So I have decided to only give him the tinest amount of pellets this morning and just give him loads of hay again. Am I being mean? I feel bad not giving him his usual pellets but I think I was adding that much to the hay to get him to eat it that he wasnt hungry and didnt need to eat it!

Last edited:
I'm not sure if there are veggies that can help with wearing down teeth too, but I would just make sure that he's getting all the nutrients he needs. Rabbits can definitely live without pellets, but only if they're getting enough veggies to give them all the vitamins, minerals, etc that they need. Other than that, Strawberry is just going to have to toughen up and eat that hay! :lol:

Cruel to be kind I rekon! Well its not even cruel as hay is better for buns! So all good I rekon. Bean hardly touches his pellets and prefers hay!:D:D

You could also buy him lots of different hays to try. Then you'll feel that you are still giving him treats !!

The Hay Experts have loads of hays to sample :D

No, it's not mean at all.
I have these for my buns which they love, and my vet advised me to give Pippin more Timmy hay and less pellets, so he was still getting the calories, but was more wearing on his teeth.

You are not being mean. That is what I do with my two. I also pick some grass for them daily. That's good for teeth.

Thanks guys. I have felt mean all day worried he would be hungry. If I knew he would definately not touch the hay then I wouldnt have cut the pellets as he needs the nutrients but after seeing him munching on it last night its just him being naughty!

I have ordered a sample pack from the Hay experts, he did like the excel herbage but he only tends to eat the big strands and that comes quite cut up. He wont eat the little pieces so I have to throw lots away but the meadow hay is cheap enough so i dont mind as long as he is eating it again now!

He has a teeth check at 5pm so vibes for no spurs needed please!!!

Wahoo Strawberries teeth are fine!!!

The small spurs he had on one side have gone now and she said as long as he keeps up his hay eating he should be ok. She advised to just give pellets once a day instead of twice and that it was fine to do a day without any pellets to encourage more hay eating!

And I didnt have to pay for the appointment! Always nice when that happens!

Wahoo Strawberries teeth are fine!!!

The small spurs he had on one side have gone now and she said as long as he keeps up his hay eating he should be ok. She advised to just give pellets once a day instead of twice and that it was fine to do a day without any pellets to encourage more hay eating!

And I didnt have to pay for the appointment! Always nice when that happens!

Woohoo!! That's excellent news !:) x

Back