• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit and Kittens

hi i have a 5 and a half old male rabbit not got his bits done yet because the vet wont do it till hes 6 months... tomorrow we are getting a female 4 month old kitten also not done... now i kow rabbits and cats can get on... the rabbit has his own room that i wont let the kitten in... just wondering the best way to get them used to each other... i was thinking of keeping the rabbit in the cage with the door shut if i go out just incase he gets spooked but while im in let him run round the bathroom and let them both sniff under the door so there used to each others smell... are they usually bothered by each other... i know there both young enough and easier to adapt... there both very affectionate... and they will never be left alone in the same room... and may never let them in the same room together... is there any warning signs i should look out for... or any signs they like each other... u know what i mean

ooh i would be carefull as kittens have such sharp claws,it may only play but will probably hurt the bun.I would keep them apart.

I disagree a little, I think they should be able to see each other and interact, but only under supervision, so that, as Youngbunny2 said the kitten's claws can't hurt the bun.

If they grow up together from a young age it will be nice for both of them, and yes, they should get used to each others scents as normal.

Again, only let them interact when they are supervised though, at least until they learn the rules.

My dogs are beautiful with my buns and the buns adore them - when I started bonding Rogy and Barney and Barney was resisting, Roger was looking out through the bars of the playpen at the dogs, he wanted to come out and play with them because Barney wouldn't play with him :love:

This is because they've learnt from day 1 what is and isnt' allowed, you can have the same with your bun and kitty - it's up to you to teach them the rules.

Good luck!

yeh thats wot i thought wouldnt let them alone... was thinking give them till the end of the week sniffing each other under the door and then some short supervised visits... there of similar age... do i take the kitten into the rabbits room??? its the safest room and nowhere to hide so if they did fight i can grab one of them... but it is his room

NO find a communal space...if you can..not neutral but communal...so its always smelling of whoever and whatever lives in your house:lol:
then again maybe you can put up two playpens in the buns room or at least a dividing panel so they can sniff and see each other. i also put salem and zuzu in a cat carrier and put them where bertie n bif oculd see them walk aorund the carrier etc....then let them out for a little while.
they were always put in the kitchen in a dog crate overnight and if i was going out or ill.so the buns owuld be ok.

lucky i did for they got the runs and despite being wormed they ahd tpaeworm as they also had fleas..delighful! so i flea treated them and the buns and then i wormed the kitties and then et them back with the buns a few days later.
within a week or so they were living wth the buns as bif had decidied to adopt them:oops: and bertie was being daddy..and the kits aodred them form word go..but kitty stalk n play behaviour is very scary for a bunny..bif realsied this was the idiots trying to get her n bertie to play wrestle with them and told em where to go:lol: they followed her like ducks....she even litter trained salem properly as no matter how we and he tried he used to cry and pee all over his tail and legs..she took him in the tray with ther and within 48hrs hed ot the hang of squatting and lifting his tail..if it hadnt been for bif i reckon hed still be doing it now:oops:

eventually the crate went and a huge baby bun appeared in the shape of baby frenchie willow and the cats bonded with ehr right away and she loved playing rough they were scared of bif but not her and she was huuuuuuge. they were like 3 siblings:love: when she died a bit of them died too..theyve not been the same since.

so yes bonds can exist you take your time and discipline..but if you have a kitty from a prolific hunter mummy you have to be extra careful.
mine are basiclaly inddor cats..just go out in nice weather for a wander round the garden with the buns or us...theyre netted in as salem has a heart murmur...
he sleeps with the buns when they let him and washes them..hes an idiot:roll:

yeh our kitten will be an indoor cat... i have a carry cage and i can put snowball in his cage for the seeing each other meeting... and i can use the dinning room as the neutral room for meeting... but snowball has to stay in the bathroom normally cos he ruins my carpet... no matter wot i do he wont stop pluckin it so they wont meet much... just want them to know each other and be ok with each other incase of any accidents like door being left open etc

I think they need lots of supervised interaction, especially when they first meet. They can't learn the rules from separate playpens. I'm sure they won't fight, they're both babies :love: so I'm sure it will be fine.

They'll probably just have a bit of a tumble game and fall asleep together, lol.

going to pick up the little bundle of fluff today :D i will try and posy some pics for you... she hasnt got a name yet so will let you know that when my partner decides on it... cos hes naming her... hope he picks something good lol... shes all black with orange eyes... shes needs a cosmic type name lol

just got her home and managed to get her to come out from under the tele stand lol... might try and take some pics tomorrow when shes not so timid... she likes lots of fuss tho

Back