• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Post spaying advice needed

Michelle666

Mama Doe
My girls were spayed on Thursday. Everything went really well, they are eatting and drinking loads which is great.

We went back to vet today and the vet is very happy with the wound, and its healing nicely.

My concern is how long should i keep them in for? They are giants and are in a 5ft squared pen, which is ok for a short while to prevent them binking too much, but i dont like keeping them couped up for too long. The nurse said 3 days on phone, the nurse in there said 7 days and the vet today said 3 weeks :shock:

They live in an outdoor kennel and run. I dont have to give them hay bedding as they have vet beds to sleep on. Just want to know how long is long enough?

I normally keep my foster buns in for 5 - 7 days, depending on how they are :) Generally a week is plenty :) If they are on vet bed anyway, i dont see a problem with the girlies being able to go back to their outdoor home :)

Im glad everything went well :love: xXx

OK its been a week now since the girls got spayed. Vet said everythings healing well.

Would we say its safe to let them go back to their home (Shed in garden - with own run)?

They are attempting to break out everyday now, and i feel terrible keeping them inside...they must need fresh air, and their life back!

When Bubbles was spayed, they said to keep her indoors for just a couple of days. It ended up being around a week because of bonding problems with Alfie, but I think your girls should be fine to go back outside now. :)

:wave:

my BG stayed in for 5 days then i let her out round the room but with me supervising. i was told a week but she was going mad suck in her crate. so let her out and all she did was lay down in her fave place as usual haha i would say as long as your supervising the first time you let them out to make sure there not going mental all will be fine :D

Just another thing, before they left their home...they decided to go on an escape mission in the run section...ive managed to fill the holes in, but its rather soiley...and im concerned about them laying on it, which they do!

I cant section them off, as thats part of their home. Do you think this would be ok?

I check on the wounds everyday and they seem nice and dry, and healing really well

I just think 3 weeks is rather too much!

I think the problem is more the jumping up and down rather than being inside or outside now, a week after the op.

Our Vets said no jumping up, ramps, stairs that sort of thing, at least until 7-10 day post op check. At 10 days, Maisey, had a tiny spot still to heal on her wound (where she pulled a stitch through!) so was told to watch it and once it was healed (2/3 days) she could go back to normal. She's a shocking jumper - throws herself up the bars so I double checked and they said the inside would be healed by then so no problem.

So I would think that so long as all is healing well and that you don't go back to hay bedding yet (we used sredded newspaper) and you feel they will be warm enough and don't have a ramp or stairs to negotiate then they could go out. If they do have a ramp or something then I'd leave it at least untill 10 days.

They live in a shed with run space, so no stairs, ramps etc.

They will also stay on their vet beds for the time being, and im using shredded paper in the litter tray... although they keep munching on it...is that ok?

Our bunnies, past and present, have been known to have a nibble on the newspaper, I don't think it causes any problems.

If you want to keep them in longer can you let them have some free time in the kitchen or something? That's what we did with Maisey right from the day after the op - just moved all the things she usually jumps on including her run as there was no holding her back!

I don't know if being Giants makes any difference, I have no experience of them.

I would love to let them roam abit, but there in my hallway, and its all wooden flooring downstair and they hate it as they slip. hence vet beds and towels. The kitchen isnt finished, so lots of wires around!!

Think i'll hang on till sunday perhaps

Back