• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

ways to keep weight on a dental bun?

any suggestions? a high hay diet seems to help baileys teeth but not his weight x

I think I read somewhere that readigrass has more calories than hay: maybe someone will confirm?
I would also try fresh grass, grated carrot and parsnip, porridge, baby rabbit pellets, perhaps a little toast :)

i'm giving my guinea pig oat bran at the mo(from tesco) and that helps and she loves it. I only put a small amount of water in so its damp and mix it up as if you put too much water in it goes like glue and she won't eat it!

They only need the teeniest amount of porridge, it's very high carb so you need to get the right balance between enough for weight gain and too much for icky guts. I usually give about a teaspoonful soaked in warm water. If the bun is used to banana you can mash a little of that in with it too and they loooove that :)

Also now spring has sprung, fresh grass is richer than hay so getting that might also help both his weight and his teeth.

They only need the teeniest amount of porridge, it's very high carb so you need to get the right balance between enough for weight gain and too much for icky guts. I usually give about a teaspoonful soaked in warm water. If the bun is used to banana you can mash a little of that in with it too and they loooove that :)

Also now spring has sprung, fresh grass is richer than hay so getting that might also help both his weight and his teeth.

Thanks alison, i have some spurts of grass which isn't treated in my garden, so ill cut some for him tomorrow.

I think we're going to have to have his incisors out soon, however whilst hes not lost any weight, i don't want him too. if you get what i mean.

Back