• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

3 year old thread, please excuse

DemiS

Warren Veteran
This was one of my first posts and I was 13 at the time so please forgive me :lol: :oops:

Last edited:
Too many unwanted Rabbits in Rescue as it is.
Why bring more into the world just to create a new colour.

As for what colour I'd like to see, the ones already here. Its the Rabbit's personality that matters most :)

Too many unwanted Rabbits in Rescue as it is.
Why bring more into the world just to create a new colour.

As for what colour I'd like to see, the ones already here. Its the Rabbit's personality that matters most :)

100% agree. All bunnies are beautiful, no matter what their colour. And there are so many of the poor mites in rescues looking for someone to love them :(

I know there are allready rabbits in shelters, but there are many responsible pet owners/breeders/exhibitors who would happily take on new varieties. I am asking breeders and exhibitors who are interested in new colours, please start a new thread if you wish to talk about shelters and rescues.

And yes, all buns are beautifull. Especially Dutch :D Which is why I'd like to see more colours.

I know there are allready rabbits in shelters, but there are many responsible pet owners/breeders/exhibitors who would happily take on new varieties. I am asking breeders and exhibitors who are interested in new colours, please start a new thread if you wish to talk about shelters and rescues.

And yes, all buns are beautifull. Especially Dutch :D Which is why I'd like to see more colours.

If you did breed new colours and some kits are mismatched, would you keep them?
Would you keep all "un show worthy" buns?

Yes, I would keep them if other breeders didn't want them to improve stock or also help me develop new colours. If anyone did want them as pets, I have a 2 page long sales policy and even a questionare for potential new pet owners. I do hate to sell my rabbits though. I make sure they have a link to the rabbit rescue sites nearby just incase.

Yes, I would keep them if other breeders didn't want them to improve stock or also help me develop new colours. If anyone did want them as pets, I have a 2 page long sales policy and even a questionare for potential new pet owners.

Every rabbit you "sell" as a pet, is a home you are potentially taking away from a rescue bun.

Say your rabbit has 6 kits, none of which are show worthy, can you afford to keep them all vaccinating all every year? Enough room to seperate Brothers from Sisters at 10 weeks? Enough hutches so that if they are to be withyou permanantly, they all have at least a 6ft hutch each, and are spayed/neutered so they can be paired up for company?

Improve stock - I hate how they are always referred to as this

Out of curiosity, how old are you?

Every rabbit you "sell" as a pet, is a home you are potentially taking away from a rescue bun.

Say your rabbit has 6 kits, none of which are show worthy, can you afford to keep them all vaccinating all every year? Enough room to seperate Brothers from Sisters at 10 weeks? Enough hutches so that if they are to be withyou permanantly, they all have at least a 6ft hutch each, and are spayed/neutered so they can be paired up for company?

Improve stock - I hate how they are always referred to as this

Out of curiosity, how old are you?

Me too...they are sentient gentle creatures, not tools in which to 'create' colours!!!

I agree that ideally all rescue rabbits should be homed before any more are bred but its just a sad fact that not everybody wants a rescue rabbit, they want a pretty new baby rabbit :roll: and if you think about it this way, one more baby sold by a responsible breeder is one less sold in a pet shop.

I agree that ideally all rescue rabbits should be homed before any more are bred but its just a sad fact that not everybody wants a rescue rabbit, they want a pretty new baby rabbit :roll: and if you think about it this way, one more baby sold by a responsible breeder is one less sold in a pet shop.

But could still end up being one more in rescue when they no longer can be bothered :roll:

Whichever way I put it, someone is going to criticize me. I KNOW they're lots of animals wanting homes, and I tell everyone I know this! I love my rabbits as pets, and I can't understand breeders who just show for the money. There are people who just love certain breeds of animals, I love all rabbits but some breeds i prefer to others. There are always people wanting pet rabbits, where they get them from is their decision. Many sites tell people to buy rabbits from responsible breeders. Tell them to change their info! And I think it is awfull that people don't get rabbits from rescues. Again though, in many books and on sites, it tells you young rabbits are best. And people also want the best cute looking rabbit there is. Its just the world today.

Whichever way I put it, someone is going to criticize me. I KNOW they're lots of animals wanting homes, and I tell everyone I know this! I love my rabbits as pets, and I can't understand breeders who just show for the money. There are people who just love certain breeds of animals, I love all rabbits but some breeds i prefer to others. There are always people wanting pet rabbits, where they get them from is their decision. Many sites tell people to buy rabbits from responsible breeders. Tell them to change their info! And I think it is awfull that people don't get rabbits from rescues. Again though, in many books and on sites, it tells you young rabbits are best. And people also want the best cute looking rabbit there is. Its just the world today.

That doesn't mean you have to be a part of it! Things will never change if we all thought this way :(

Remember, it's not just rabbits. It's lots of different animals. Did you see that program on Pedigree dogs? I would never do that to my rabbits. I would keep all unhealthy rabbits or ones carrying genetic defects and never breed them.

Back