• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny not eating/syringe feeding - Advice [U/D Eating & Pooing]

Kenno

Warren Scout
I've already posted what's going on with Bea so far, it's here if you'd like to read:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=173492

I was hoping she would of picked up eating by now, but she just nibbles every now and again. I just wanted some advice on what I can try to coax her to eat and if that fails syringe feeding her.

I have recovery & fibreplex that I can feed her, which would be better?

Also, she's quite a big girl and gets stressed so easily and last time I tried to syringe feed her she was squeeling. So could anyone give me any advice on how I could reduce the stress maybe?

Last edited:
If she gets so stressed, before you try to syringe feed, could you get to the shops to try to get in a variety of herbs, kale, spinach, spring greens etc to try to tempt her. If she is with a partner can you bring the partner in too. I find that if one of mine starts eating the other tends to copy.

Could you spray a bit of her hay with fresh pineapple juice to try to tempt her to eat a little bit more?

If all this fails then I would try to syringe feed the SR, if this proves too difficult then try putting a bit of fibreplex on the things she is nibbling (or do both).

Keep her nice and warm and plenty of fluids too.

I hope she is feeling better soon.

Edit - I try to "play" with their food under their chin lightly so they sometimes take it from me. Sometimes it works.

Thanks Bunny Babe! I've got her favourite veggies for her but unfortunately, I don't have the space to bring Tomee inside too. Plus he tends to copy her rather than the other way round.

She has just in fact eaten of her own accord though, so I'm going to replenish her food and maybe put abit of fibreplex on her food too. I really don't want to have to resort to syringe feeding her unless it's absolutely necessary.

Thanks again, I shall try out your tips! :)

Glad she has nibbled a bit on her own.

I find that sometimes if you put a selection of their favourite foods down and leave them for a little while, they tend to have a munch when no one is looking.

Hope she continues to improve.

Thanks, she started eating properly about 3pm and we have poo now also! Yay! :D

Yeah, she wouldn't eat it out my hand but as soon as I put it down and left the room she would go and eat it. She's so stubborn sometimes!

Back