• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What can I do to stop her?!

Buuny_Friend

Mama Doe
Bella was spayed on Friday 6th March. The following Thursday she had to be re-stitched as she chewed the stitches out and chewed her skin!!!

She has been wearing a collar since then and the wound was healing well. Lat night, she managed to get the collar off and did it again! She now has to be re-stitched tomorrow. The vet is ruluctant to put stitches under the skin as there is slight infection. She is on Baytril and I am bathing it with salty water and she still has her collar on

Is there anything else I can do? She chews all the skin on the wound too :cry:

Nightmare. I can sympathise as I had this with Penny Pocket. She chewed her stiches a total of three times - the naughty bunny. My vet had never known it happen - he always thought bunnies were such gentle creatures until he met Penny :lol:

We ended up putting a collar on and keeping her indoors. I took her collar off when I was around and could supervise as this gave her a chance to groom etc. In the night she used to pull it off about three times but I always used to hear her so could put it on again before she had chance to chew. So I had a few long nights but we got there in the end. However, Penny didn't chew her skin. The vet ended up putting internal and external stiches with glue aswell.

I know some people put there buns with a little jumper/vest type thing. I tried this with Penny but this got chewed aswell :roll:

Just thought aswell, if the wound is a little open, then make sure you bed her down on newspaper or something so you don'g get hay or straw digging into the wound.

Nightmare. I can sympathise as I had this with Penny Pocket. She chewed her stiches a total of three times - the naughty bunny. My vet had never known it happen - he always thought bunnies were such gentle creatures until he met Penny :lol:

We ended up putting a collar on and keeping her indoors. I took her collar off when I was around and could supervise as this gave her a chance to groom etc. In the night she used to pull it off about three times but I always used to hear her so could put it on again before she had chance to chew. So I had a few long nights but we got there in the end. However, Penny didn't chew her skin. The vet ended up putting internal and external stiches with glue aswell.

I know some people put there buns with a little jumper/vest type thing. I tried this with Penny but this got chewed aswell :roll:

Just thought aswell, if the wound is a little open, then make sure you bed her down on newspaper or something so you don'g get hay or straw digging into the wound.

Thank you for the reply. She is on Vetbed indoors at the mo.

Do you think we should put her on a course of painkillers once she has been re-stitched to aleviate any pain/itching?

I'm not sure on that one to be honest. I want to say that it wouldn't hurt but am not sure. Hopefully someone will be along with better knowledge than me or you could discuss it with your vet. I just had to REALLY monitor her most of the time to redirect her away from her stitches until her wound healed x

I'm not sure on that one to be honest. I want to say that it wouldn't hurt but am not sure. Hopefully someone will be along with better knowledge than me or you could discuss it with your vet. I just had to REALLY monitor her most of the time to redirect her away from her stitches until her wound healed x

Ok, thank you.

She is on AB to try and wave off any infection. I just hate seeing her like this and I hate the thought of her having 3 GA's in 4 weeks :(

I know how you feel. Penny reacted badly to the anesthetic first time round so when she chewed her stiches out I cried - I couldn't belive it :roll: The vet used a different anesthetic the following couple of times and it's been much better. it doesn't stop us worrying though does it? Let us know how you get on with her - naughty Bella :no: x

I know how you feel. Penny reacted badly to the anesthetic first time round so when she chewed her stiches out I cried - I couldn't belive it :roll: The vet used a different anesthetic the following couple of times and it's been much better. it doesn't stop us worrying though does it? Let us know how you get on with her - naughty Bella :no: x

Hmmm...yes...naughty girl!

She is waiting to go to her new home to a handsome male called Marley (I rescued her from ebay) but we have to keep putting the boding off :(

Is she on anti-inflammatory analgesia ?
Pain and inflammation from the sutures will mean she keeps chewing at the wound.
What suture material has been used? She could be sensitive to it and an alternative could be used.

Is she on anti-inflammatory analgesia ?
Pain and inflammation from the sutures will mean she keeps chewing at the wound.
What suture material has been used? She could be sensitive to it and an alternative could be used.

Hi Jane,

Initially she was given ani-inflamitories. The wound was not inflames at all however.

The vet used either PDS or Vicryl (will check her notes tomorrow). She started to wake up during her spay so the vet decided to stitch on the outside of the skin instead of beneath as he usually does...:roll:

Hi Jane,

Initially she was given ani-inflamitories. The wound was not inflames at all however.

The vet used either PDS or Vicryl (will check her notes tomorrow). She started to wake up during her spay so the vet decided to stitch on the outside of the skin instead of beneath as he usually does...:roll:

Then he should have topped up the anaesthetic with gas and done a proper job! That's awful. I'd be really angry if I was you.

Oh don't worry...it's been dealth with. I work there so am not afraid to say what I think!!!

I guessed you must: I doubt they'd have admitted to a client that their pet was waking up whilst they were operating: poor thing must have been screaming with terror.
I hope they don't let it happen again!
I don't know how you restrained yourself.

One and only one of our does (funnily enough our dutch who is a fiesty diva! so it is a coincidence!) was stitched and then had a large dressing put over the top. With a collar also.

I do not know why they did this as none of our other 4 does have had this dressing... same vets etc! Perhaps they thought "ay up a dutch - this calls for reinforcement!"

But perhaps this is an option.. she would have to get through this first to get to the stitches! Also sometimes we put collars on too loose - perhaps as we worry if they are too tight! But maybe put the collar tighter - or even on a "cats (non elasticated) collar" or the like instead of a bandage. This worked for our little minxs :lol:

here's how I do it

When my bridge bun Goofball had her surgery, there was the stitched wound. Although it's internally stitched, I put a big patch of non-sterile pad on it. They are about 4 in. x 3 in.

I then put non-stick "green" painter tape around the pad, wrap around her fur on all for corners (cross diagonal). They are non stick, as long as you remove them once a day, it doesn't stick to her skin, not to mention I warp it around her fur.

The method works perfectly. The pad is so large, she can't dig thru the pad and touch the wound. And if 1 pad is not large enough, get a 2nd one. A big box of 100 is only like $15.

Now, supposedly, they said the wound needs to breathe, but it will still sealed w/ the pad and prevent you a case of infection.

Back