• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Question for lop bun owners

sonnet

Alpha Buck
I wondered how true it is that lop buns are more prone to dental problems than other buns?
For those people that own or have owned a lop - have you found this to be generally the case with your buns? Or have you found it no more common than with any other breed of bun?

Only one of my lops has no sign of dental disease and she is a manic hay eater so I personally feel that has an awful lot to do with it. TBH I don't think it's a myth that lops are more prone to dental disease, it's factually based on their skull mutations & genetics. The majority of the lops I had in when I was rescuing showed some evidence of spurring or misalignment of the molars when neutered, indicating they may experience issues at some stage in future if not at the present time.

I havn't encountered any lops with incisor maloclussion personally though, so this dosn't appear to be as common, though I know a breeder round here is churning them out with under & over bites. :?

not yet but Alvin is only a year old... plenty of time for problems to develope i suppose :shock:

I have lops and uppys. I think think fresh long GRASS is the best thing for teeth, with hay a close second. My 4 get through a carrier bag stuffed with long grass stolen from a local park every 1-2 days and plenty of hay too :)

Out of all my buns over the years, the only one who had dental problems was my one and only Lop. However, I took him on already with complications, so who knows, maybe it could have been avoided if he'd had the same diet and care as my others from an early age.

Peanut has slightly 'dodgy' teeth, and what the vet explained to me was, Peanut and Jelly both get an excellent diet so neither has teeth problems, however...

if they didnt get the perfect diet, he would have teeth problems and jelly probably wouldnt.

So they are more prone to it, sometimes they will have teeth probs no matter what diet they get but for the majority as long as they get a good diet theyre teeth should be okay :)

Back