• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

is this suitable for a pair?

I've got that one for my 2 mini lops. I like it because the door is very large so it's easy to clean out. Here's a photo of Storm and Mallow in the hutch taken today. They don't sleep in the bedroom so I've put their food bowls up there. They like sunbathing at the front or hiding under the bedroom in the dark or sleeping in the big grey litter tray that they move around depending on whether they want to face the sun or the wall :lol:.

hutch002.jpg

It is a bit small without a run. I've had to attach my run by digging a tunnel because there wasn't enough space without blocking the path but it looks cool and the buns love it :D They access the tunnel just by the ramp (just behind the blue litter tray).

DSC00365.jpg

it is still very expensive for what it is, and the actual house area is a bit small, but as the run is covered that doesn't matter too much - I'd say it was fine for a small pair, with at least some access to another run :)

I've got that one for my 2 mini lops. I like it because the door is very large so it's easy to clean out. Here's a photo of Storm and Mallow in the hutch taken today. They don't sleep in the bedroom so I've put their food bowls up there. They like sunbathing at the front or hiding under the bedroom in the dark or sleeping in the big grey litter tray that they move around depending on whether they want to face the sun or the wall :lol:.

hutch002.jpg

It is a bit small without a run. I've had to attach my run by digging a tunnel because there wasn't enough space without blocking the path but it looks cool and the buns love it :D They access the tunnel just by the ramp (just behind the blue litter tray).

DSC00365.jpg

Thats FAB!! :love:
Do you have a cover for it at night? What is the tunnel to the run made of?
Thanks x

It is fantastic for 2 small buns. We used to have one here for the boarders. You do need a cover though for rain or a fly night/sun screen for the warmer weather as the front is totally exposed.

My two are small :) Bailey is 2kg, pebble 1.7kg. :)

What could i cover it with? Will the ebay cover man make a cover for it do you think? or will tarpoline (sp?) be ok... or?

hutch002.jpg

DSC00365.jpg

a tunnel to the run a great idea looks great to

teresa

They are expensive for what they are. By spending less money you can get a better made and much bigger hutch with attatched run.

The picture you have shown will still require an additional run area, The sheltered are is very small in comparison to many other hutches with attatched runs.

We have 2 of these for our buns. One from Albany pets which is fine but the second one from another ebay company is very tasty and they are keen on eating it! We paid about £100 for the first one and £77 for the second.

I agree that they are too small, even for one bun without a run or plenty of free time.

We screwed corrugated (cos that's what we had) clear plastic across the back for the winter and covered the end and side with sheet plastic. We made a shelf across the end which the ramp comes down on to for more space and interest. We also put ours on a raised Marine Ply base to keep it up off the wet patio. Maybe not necessary, but its black slate and tends to mark.

We have now ordered a chicken run style enclosure from www.aviaries4u for about £255 which we hope to put one of the original "coops" in as a base when we get our 2 back together. In hindsite we could have spent a lot less money.

Just had another look at it and actually the one you have linked to is the giant one which is longer than mine.

Last edited:
Just wanted to add the one you have linked too is actually a bigger version than the ones you usually see, its 7 ft 9 long, i think its great!

Do you have a cover for it at night? What is the tunnel to the run made of?

I got a tarpaulin off ebay. I leave it on top of the hutch most of the time & pull it down at night or if it is going to rain during the day when I'm at work. If you search ebay for the following it will show what I use:
CLEAR TARPAULIN TARP SHEET HUTCH COVER

The tunnel I made from bits and pieces left over from other DIY projects. The tunnel itself is a rolled up sheet of plastic with 'rungs' made of strips of duck tape so Storm and Mallow don't slip. The tunnel is then supported by concrete blocks on either side and has a large paving slap over the top.
Just in case you're wondering - I did spend a lot of time watching Blue Peter when I was a kid :D

P.S. Storm & Mallow each weight about 2.2 Kgs

Last edited:
Just wanted to add the one you have linked too is actually a bigger version than the ones you usually see, its 7 ft 9 long, i think its great!

Yes, its quite big. :)

And i think its a good idea to put plastic on the back and on the one side. :) To keep the wind out. :)

Thanks Liz1966 thats fab :)

My dad, actuelly really likes it :) x

They do a 9 foot version too. They're still only about 3 foot wide though which is is a shame. An extra foot would make a big difference! I'm looking to build something similar when I move house, but it will be wider.

It is pretty funky but it is expensive for something that would need so much altering. By the time the alterations have been done it might have been easier to buy something else. Having said that it would be very nice with an additional run space and protection.

Housing is such a never ending nightmare!

Emma

Hi

We have a similar set up (maybe slightly smaller though):

tn_sooty1jpg.jpg

We have put decking on the floor and have put tongue and groove all across the back and the side that was exposed. Have also fitted some hooks so that a run can fit onto the front.

tn_sooty2jpg.jpg

We took the ramp away as it is easy to jump. We have a cover being made now by the eBay cover man.

Sadly Sooty went to the bridge yesterday, so it is now sat empty after only 3 weeks use. :cry:

Hi

We have a similar set up (maybe slightly smaller though):

tn_sooty1jpg.jpg

We have put decking on the floor and have put tongue and groove all across the back and the side that was exposed. Have also fitted some hooks so that a run can fit onto the front.

tn_sooty2jpg.jpg

We took the ramp away as it is easy to jump. We have a cover being made now by the eBay cover man.

Sadly Sooty went to the bridge yesterday, so it is now sat empty after only 3 weeks use. :cry:

thats FAB!. :love:
I love it.
How did you do the wooden flooring inside? Dad likes that. x

Back