• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sooty is ill again - u/date he's gone

Netutopia

Alpha Buck
Poor Sooty is ill again :cry: He has been through so much, 2 months ago he had balance problems caused either by EC or an ear infection. He pulled through and was just left with a slight head tilt.

As he was getting better he had a big fight with his wifey bun Syrup and they had to be split. They lived apart for 4 weeks and I tried to rebond but it didn't work.

We got Sooty a brand new bachelor pad and he settled in a treat and was really happy and much more like his old self. Only this week I was thinking how well he had got over his illness and how much more like himself he was.

Yesterday I had to go to my Mom's and my husband called and said that Sooty was not himself, when we got back he looked quite vacant (like he had when he was ill before). He isn't eating or pooing much at all.

This morning he isn't any better, he is now inside, I have given him a gut stimulant and metacam.

I have got my in laws coming for Sunday dinner (which I have got to cook) and my parents and grandparents coming over later, for Mothers Day.

I don't know how I am going to get through today. :cry:

Last edited:
Poor Sooty :cry:

Could he have a recurrence of the ear infection ?
If so he needs antibiotics too. Could your O/H get Sooty to a Vet today ?

Sending get well vibes for him xx

Thanks Jane. If he needs to see the vet today we will get him there one way or another.

He does seem to be very much like he was before. :cry:

Just called the emergency vet and we can go to the surgery at 10am. My husband is going to cook the dinner (bless him). I need to get my priorities right.

Sooty must know - he is just tucking in to some food :)

Just called the emergency vet and we can go to the surgery at 10am. My husband is going to cook the dinner (bless him). I need to get my priorities right.

Sooty must know - he is just tucking in to some food :)

Awwwwww bless him.
Good luck at the Vets :)

Thanks everyone. Well we are back from the vets. He said that Sooty is having respiratory problems :cry: he also said that he may have further neurological problems, but his eyes aren't rolling.

He gave him two injections (tribrissen and multivet) - one contains lots of nutrients and the other is an antibiotic - he said that he gave it 20-30% chance of working :cry:

I have some biolapis to put in his water too.

I have put him back in the garden as it is such a lovely day - he is right next to the back door so I can keep a close eye on him, I thought that normal and familiar surroundings would be better.

He is just sat staring into space, my husband said that he was like that a lot yesterday.

The vet said that if there is no improvement tomorrow we would have to consider the options.:cry:

How am I going to put on a brave face for my family today while trying to get Sooty to eat and drink and feeling sick to my stomach and how do I explain that to my 11 year old son?

Come on Sooty - please fight, you have battled this before.

Dont give up hope !!
He'll need a full course of abx, you'll need to give them time to kick in.
He'll need daily anti-inflammatory pain relief too.

Sending lots of vibes

xx

He'll need daily anti-inflammatory pain relief too.

Is that metacam? Not too good with all this terminology.

If he has neurological problems, what would be the long term implications for him, if we can get him through this?

I don't really understand vet speak.

I would consider asking for xrays to find out what's causing the respiratory problems: it will help give you a prognosis. If it is fluid on the chest, diuretics may help

oh Jo so sorry to read this
Will keep fingers crossed for him xx

(and yep Anti-inflammatory pain relief = Metacam:D)

Since we got back Sooty hasn't moved - he is just lay with his tummy on the floor.

I have just tried to syringe some water and biolpis but it made him really gasp and he started wheezing. I only got about 10ml in.

He has really taken a turn for the worst and really looks like he is suffering.

Do I try and give him any more or should I just leave him.

It is breaking my heart, we are all in tears and my inlaws are due to arrive in 15 minutes.

I would call and speak to the vet you saw this morning for their advice.

Sending him mega get well vibes.

(Your family will understand).

Back