• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Really scary symptoms - ??caused by cystitis U/D Post31.. Don't know what's wrong :(

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
Esme has started what looks like happy flopping but doing them over and over, she doesn't seem in control then a minute later looks panicked by it. She only started about 20 minutes ago. She's had about 3 bouts of it but has been calm for about 5 minutes now.

I'm not happy about getting her to to the vets at this stage as I took her on the nearly two hour round trip on Thursday and it really upset her. (She wouldn't eat for 2 hours after getting home and was shaking). She's been absolutely fine all day.... she seems okay now, just watched her washing her ears and she seemed calm and in control.

I took her to the vets on Thurs because of small poos, the vet couldn't find anything wrong, her poos are normal again.

It isn't discomfort like bloat as I've seen before, she is rolling on her back. The vet found a 'lump' on the side of her body (I'd call it more of a lack of symmetry, wider at one side than the other, no definite lump, not regarded as an abscess by vet), doubt it's connected but maybe it is??

She's just had another rolling over bout but doesn't look panicked, I still don't feel she was doing it for pleasure, I'm really worried.

Anybody know what it is???

Last edited:
Now I'm thinking a bit clearer, could it be one of the symptoms of EC, I think I might have heard of similar to this before :cry:

it could be Ec or it could be seizures of some kind....im sorry but if i were you id ring the emergency vets...and then risk tkaing her in if they say she should be seen. all i cand o is wish you the best of luck.
oh nearly forgot..it could be an inner ear problem or inner ear infection it may affect her normal balance more and more too.

The vet said to take her in for they have emergency open appointment system on Sunday morning. Vet thought she was alright to wait til 10.00, so we'll be setting off soon.

She's appeared 'normal' through the night but isn't eating.

I've remembered where I've read of similar symptoms - it was KarenM's Bubbles when she had molar spurs, I pray it's something that simple, but I've had an awful sense of foreboding for days now. I'm terrifed of her having GA when she isn't well, she didn't do well on her first GA :cry: I'm dreading putting her through the car journey.

Just read this. Good luck at the vets
Could be e.c., ear infection or something neurological going on. other (less likely) causes are electrolyte imbalance, fever or eating something toxic.
Whatever it is I hope the vet can fix it.
it may help to prop her up with rolled up towels. make sure there's nothing she can hurt herself on and keep her somewhere quiet and dark.
good luck again xx

I've remembered where I've read of similar symptoms - it was KarenM's Bubbles when she had molar spurs, I pray it's something that simple, but I've had an awful sense of foreboding for days now. I'm terrifed of her having GA when she isn't well, she didn't do well on her first GA :cry: I'm dreading putting her through the car journey.

I thought of how Bubbles was when I read what you put about Esme rolling. It sounds exactly how Bubbles was - she didn't really look panicked but it was obvious she was in some discomfort - I'm not sure if it was the pain from her spurs that was making her uncomfortable or the raised temperature she had but it stopped as soon as she had painkiller and antibiotic injections.

I'm really hoping too that it's something very straightforward for Esme too & that the journey isn't too stressful for her. Will be checking back for news later and am thinking of little Esme in the meantime. xxx

After loads of prodding and pulling the vet decided it was likely to be cystitis as her bladder felt small and tender.

She has been given injections of baytril and metacam with some oral versions to give her over the next few days. (and Diazepam for me - if only!!)

I think as Karen says with Bubbles, the rolling was *possibly* due to raised temperature as she did feel very hot after the rolling about. I didn't give her a heatpad because of this. I really did think I was loosing her, it was horrible to watch :(

She seemed bright straight after getting home and amazingly was picking up little slivvers of hay and has eaten a pile of dandelion leaves, I think you'll all know who relieved I am by that.

Thanks for the good wishes. Early days still but looks a lot more positive than it did at 2am.

(and Diazepam for me - if only!!)

:lol:

I can completely relate to how you must have felt watching Esme. :( It's horrible to watch them suffering. :( I'm so pleased to hear she's had a little to eat & hopefully the meds will get her back on track. :love::love:

I'm so pleased to hear she's had a little to eat & hopefully the meds will get her back on track. :love::love:

Not wanting to tempt fate or anything, I can't believe how well she is doing :love::love::love: She's bright and lively. Not eaten any SS yet which she goes mad for but she has had a nibble at every other type of food. Even looking very alert when I picked the treat box up :D

phew...so glad to read the update this morning!!

lets hope she picks up even more by the end of the day.
my old bun woozle sufferred this quite a few times then it was discovered he had crystals in his bladder and poss kidneys but he died of something else before that became an issue.
but i recall our vet saying to give him extra vitmain c when he had a bad attack..either carots or ornage juice in a dilute of water..the squeezed stuff not concentrate.

the grat thing is the vet found out the cause of her probs....thats a huge relief and she should get thru the infection/cystitis fairly quickly..woozle used to;)

Thanks everybody!

phew...so glad to read the update this morning!!

lets hope she picks up even more by the end of the day.
my old bun woozle sufferred this quite a few times then it was discovered he had crystals in his bladder and poss kidneys but he died of something else before that became an issue.
but i recall our vet saying to give him extra vitmain c when he had a bad attack..either carots or ornage juice in a dilute of water..the squeezed stuff not concentrate.

the grat thing is the vet found out the cause of her probs....thats a huge relief and she should get thru the infection/cystitis fairly quickly..woozle used to;)

Thanks in particular for this advice. I shall bear it all in mind if she or the others go through it again. She's tucking into some carrot now.

awh glad things are better, we all know how worrying it is. I used to have a bunny who got cystitus regularly and i used to give her unsweetened cranberry juice via syringe and it did seem to help, it works for us!

I hope little missy is still eating well. :love::love:

:wave: Eating really well thank you. She had her afternoon nap then went foraging, ate some hay, SS pellets, some Naturals 'Herbs Plus' (highly recommended) a piece of bread, spring greens, more dandys, I feel so lucky as others have had tragedies today :(

There's a reasonable amount of little poos as well, not a massive amount of wee considering the diagnosis but both input and output are happening.

Back