• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

baby food and buns to aid recovery

caerleon

Mama Doe
Monty one of buns has not been eating so we've been under the vet for 3 days to find out why, hes not been pooing either, hes had a blood test to check his liver and kidneys which came back fine (did the blood test there and then results within 15 mins very impressed!) hes on critical care and fibreplex which he loves!, managed to get him to nibble some cabbage, hay and dandlions today the vet says to keep on with this and try tempting him with various veggies etc but also baby food she suggested milupa but was wondering if any sort of baby food would be ok? any advice would be greatly appreciated hes still lively and is drinking and grooming ok.

Has he had a thorough Dental examination?
Is he on any medication?

Personally I would stick with the Critical Care as it has the essential fibre that a Rabbit needs. Baby foods are lacking in this and only really suitable as a last resort if a Bun refuses CC.
If you do use Baby Food then it needs to be 100% Vegetable based and free from dairy products. The Hipp Organic range of Baby Foods do some Vegetable recipes as do Organix :)

Has he had a thorough Dental examination?
Is he on any medication?

Personally I would stick with the Critical Care as it has the essential fibre that a Rabbit needs. Baby foods are lacking in this and only really suitable as a last resort if a Bun refuses CC.
If you do use Baby Food then it needs to be 100% Vegetable based and free from dairy products. The Hipp Organic range of Baby Foods do some Vegetable recipes as do Organix :)

yes hes had a full dental everything ok, hes on baytril, pancur (vet wonders if it could be a parasite)and fibreplex. she said to carry on with cc aswell as trying different foods its just something else to tempt him with to get him motivated!. he was really good yesterday had a bit of cabbage,carrot,banana and some herbage and hes drinking so fingers crossed hes getting better. hes liking the idea of running round the house too!!

it has to be non-meat baby food, such as carrot, corns etc.

milupa will work too. Get the type that has a lot of fiber inside.

critical care is very good, but I really hate the smell and taste. I just can't see how can any living animal like it.

I have use the following as an alternative for over 1 yr. to feed my bridge bun Goofball:

Get some blackberry or raspberry, smash it via juicer. You need about 6 oz. Get some hay stem, cut the stem in 1 mm length, mixed it w/ the blackberry. Put the mixture in a 35 ml syringe and force feed your bun.

thanks for the help i got said baby food got a look of total disgust! hes eating now not vast amounts but alot better than he was, hes still inside to just to get his strength back but hes doing fine, was so happy to see the poo!!:oops:

Back