• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Could John-Boy Boblet be a Hermaphrodite ?

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
I am getting a bit worried now. John-Boy has occassionally started nest building.
Nothing that I have not seen before in a couple of other Bucks. But today he has been MANIC :shock: He has literally been nest building all day :shock: He has even started to pluck fur out of Little Bill :?
So far Bill has just hopped away (John-Boy is 'top Bun') But I am worried Little Bill may eventually get pee'd off with him and a fight may occur :?

More of a concern is that if John-Boy has some uterine/ovarian tissue he will be at risk of cancer wont he...........:? :cry:

Why do I always seem to have the odd Buns.........:?

My grandma had a hermaphrodite cat so it is possible. They only fund out though when they took her to be spayed. The vet asked if they wanted a boy cat or a girl cat :lol:

:shock: Is there a blood test that can look for female hormones? I remember Cheryl SGPrescue had a hermaphradite bun a few years ago - her vet went looking for an undescended testicle and found a uterus wrapped round the bladder :shock:

I suppose, as with some humans, there could just be a ladybun inside trying to get out?!
But I would chat to the vet about hormone tests.

:shock: Is there a blood test that can look for female hormones? I remember Cheryl SGPrescue had a hermaphradite bun a few years ago - her vet went looking for an undescended testicle and found a uterus wrapped round the bladder :shock:

Oh my word !! :shock:

I guess there must be a Blood Test available, although I seem to recall hearing that they have to be sent to the USA .............:? :shock:

:shock::shock::shock:

Emm-Jane was posting about uterine/ovarian tissue the other day, but it was her doe Penny. Will find the thread in a mo, but her vet thought there was no increased risk of cancer, compared to an spayed doe although it would depend how much tisue we're talking about in John-Boy's case. You're correct though, that one of the blood tests has to be sent to the US.

ETA: Linky dink http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=172899&highlight=penny

:shock::shock::shock:

Emm-Jane was posting about uterine/ovarian tissue the other day, but it was her doe Penny. Will find the thread in a mo, but her vet thought there was no increased risk of cancer, compared to an spayed doe although it would depend how much tisue we're talking about in John-Boy's case. You're correct though, that one of the blood tests has to be sent to the US.

ETA: Linky dink http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=172899&highlight=penny

Thanks for the link, I thought I'd heard or read it some-where

xx

John-Boy picked up all the hay, leaving mainly shredded paper on the floor.

006-25.jpg

He made the nest in his and Little Bill's bed and he's now all puffed up and resting on his creation..............:?

007-26.jpg

It could be he is a hermaphrodite. It is quite common in goats, caused be a genetic link with non- horned goats, if 2 breed there is a big chance there with be sexually issues- sterility and hermaphroidites, so there is no reason it can't be due to a genetic problems.
He may just be a bunny sensitive to oestrogen, and if he has been neutered there is nothing- testosterone- to counterbalance it. I don't think oestrogen is only made in the ovaries/testicles.

That's pretty amazing. I once read an article about someone who had a neutered male cat who suddenly gave birth:lol:
Its not the first time I've heard about a hermaphrodite rabbit either, although for that bun I think they first discovered its genitalia wasn't looking quite right.:? (Apparently it had looked just like a female at birth and had even been shown as such, but suddenly got testicles)

My Barley bun is a hermaphradite. She was spayed in january and the vet told me her ovaries were only as big as a pin head. :shock:He did search for boy bits and removed everything he found, but I was warned 'boy behaviour' might come to the fore. She is the messiest bun I've ever had, she sprays and she really does behave more like a boy than a girl, but she is so dinky, pretty and petite. I definitely have a tomboy if not the real thing!:lol:

My Barley bun is a hermaphradite. She was spayed in january and the vet told me her ovaries were only as big as a pin head. :shock:He did search for boy bits and removed everything he found, but I was warned 'boy behaviour' might come to the fore. She is the messiest bun I've ever had, she sprays and she really does behave more like a boy than a girl, but she is so dinky, pretty and petite. I definitely have a tomboy if not the real thing!:lol:

Awwwww bless !! :love:

I will speak with either Chriatabel or Wendy next week to see if we should do anything at this stage :?

Back