• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rolling in dry soil ?

Charys

Mama Doe
Another behaviour question - my bunny-boy also did this today - he found some dry soil, flopped on his side, rolled over in his back and wriggled a bit- then got up again. Any reason for this at all or is he just crazy ?

Mine does that: or in soot if she can find some!
I think she does it cos she likes looking grubby: she's supposed to be white but never is! :)

One of mine does that on the door mat when he's in the kitchen. I guess in the dry soil its a nice sand bath.

So, they are all just crazzzyyyyyyyy :lol: So, rabbits do like dust baths do they ? Interesting to hear of others doing it, I was convinced that he had collapsed when I saw him hurl himself upside down with his legs in the air.

In general (although there are always exceptions) it is the doe that digs the big tunnels, doing all the hard work with the soil excavating.
Bucks tend to just scrape a bunny sized small dig on the surface, then roll in it to scent it 'this is mine'.
They then lay in it and watch the does working hard.
Fellas huh!

Now watch, as half a dozen bunny owners say it is their buck that has tunnelled from their garden to next door just to prove me wrong!
I must admit I caught my male nethie about 8" down a rabbit hole today, which must be spring fever, cos he doesn't usually bother digging!

Bucks tend to just scrape a bunny sized small dig on the surface, then roll in it to scent it 'this is mine'.

Yes, he was just doing little surface digging scurries.....and not deep holes....then the rolling occurred. So, the rolling is scenting is it then ?

Yes, he was just doing little surface digging scurries.....and not deep holes....then the rolling occurred. So, the rolling is scenting is it then ?

Yep, I think so.
I think it is a lovely sight when a bunny does the athletic 'flop onto the back with the legs in the air, all in one go' manoever (sp).
They tend to do it more in the summer into a nice sunny spot, and then roll onto their sides and sunbathe! A bunny that does this is a content happy bun, who feels very comfortable and safe in his surroundings.

Well, he dind't do a very good job of cleaning as he was covered in dust after doing it ! I know what you mean though, like chincillas have dust baths ?

I wondered if it was to cool down :lol: because Alfie only does it when it's really hot. He hasn't rolled all winter, but was doing it yesterday. :?

Back