• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why do rabbits circle ?

Charys

Mama Doe
My bunny-boy has just spent a long time going round me in tight circles, I've gone into the enclosure to persuade him into his carrying box, and sat on the floor. He went 15 times clockwise, then 15 times anti-clockwise and just kept going and going. Is this a rabbity behavioural trait ?

Sounds like you have a hormonal young boy who is laying claim to his 'property' namely you.

Buns who do this are usually young males who are not yet neutered, if this is the case it sounds like he is ready to have a visit to the vets for a 'wee procedure'

Spot on ! He is indeed an un-neutered young male ! I did check his, errr, parts, only last week and was fairly certain they were well within reach for the 'procedure'. Thanks. I'll get htat booked shortly, as the long-term plan is a rescue girly to live with him.

Alfie was neutered last August and the circling stopped almost immediately after neutering. ;) He's just started doing it again to Bubbles though. :lol: Spring is in the air. :roll:

Funny that, I was thinking of that Video of Alfie and Bubbles when he was doing it ! So, were there any other noticeable behaviour changes when he had his knackers removed ?

So, were there any other noticeable behaviour changes when he had his knackers removed ?

:lol::lol::lol::lol: Nicely put. :lol::lol::lol:

That was the only change I noticed afterwards :) although if anything he became even more loving towards me after neutering - demanding nose rubs all the time. :love: (Well, till Bubbles turned up and he fell in love with her instead :(:lol:)

Unneutered males will often hump and can spray pee too, but Alfie had never shown any of that, thank goodness.

My boy rabbit circles me now and then, even though he's been snipped. He seems to do it mostly after binkying around me or after I've given him some raisins, so he's either expressing being happy or he thinks I'm his wife still :lol:

I heard somewhere rabbits sometimes do this to show affection

Honey used to circle our legs and buzz all the time, but since she was spayed 3 weeks ago, she hasn't done it since ( I kind of miss it:(:()

The boys however, never went round in circles.

My bunny Dillan does the circling around everyone. I often accidently kick him as he comes out of nowhere and you forget he's out! He still does it and constantly grunts at me too! He's getting done this week too, so his grunting, circling days are numbered!:D
Helen xx

Haha, I always thought the buzzing sounded more like a little piggy grunting. But maybe that's just American rabbits! :lol::lol:

OK, I've not heard the buzzing thing then, as I'm sure I'd have recognised it from the descriptions.

Back