• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

anesthetics

Bunnyx

Warren Scout
Hey sorry I keep posting threads about the same thing!
I went and spoke to my vet today about having pepsi neutered and I
asked her what anesthetics they use and she said first they are
given an injection of ketamine-diazepam and then gassed with isoflurane
Does this sound right? She also said she has never had any deaths of
rabbits going under the anesthetic while shes been there. And she said
I will need to offer pepsi food right up until the op which I know is true and
I will be given pain relief and someting for his gut after.
Any advice on your experiences of bunny neutering would be helpful!
Thankyou:D x

Sounds fine, we use ketamine and dexmedomidine but whatever works for her.
I would also check that she is planning to use dissolvable, buried stitches as well.

Sounds fine, we use ketamine and dexmedomidine but whatever works for her.
I would also check that she is planning to use dissolvable, buried stitches as well.

I would be very cautious with dexmedetomidine, there have been multiple studies that show it has lower safety margins than medetomidine in rabbits.

Personally I prefer domitor and analgesia (exact drug depends on procedure) as pre-merdication and sedation then intravenous ketamine until the rabbit is sleepy enough to intubate, then maintain on isoflurane. (Obviously this is altered if rabbits have pre-existing problems). This combination avoids the stressful step of masking and gives a nice fast recivery.

I would be very cautious with dexmedetomidine, there have been multiple studies that show it has lower safety margins than medetomidine in rabbits.

Personally I prefer domitor and analgesia (exact drug depends on procedure) as pre-merdication and sedation then intravenous ketamine until the rabbit is sleepy enough to intubate, then maintain on isoflurane. (Obviously this is altered if rabbits have pre-existing problems). This combination avoids the stressful step of masking and gives a nice fast recivery.

Thanks. We haven't experienced any problems at all with this combination and recovery is rapid and smooth. We are very cautious with the dose though.
If you can post a link to these studies I would like to show them to my employers

Back