• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is my cage too small?!

Lemonroe

Warren Scout
When I bought Dwight I was told he was a Holland which means I didnt think to by a huge cage/hutch, but it turns out he is a French (I believe) ...I was thinking about making him a new cage, but I love the one he has now, but im worried its too small.

The dimensions are 42"L 18.5"W and 20"H (106.7cm L x 47cm W x 50.8cm x H) (he also has a 2nd floor ramp thing)
He's 6.5-7lbs (2.95kg-3.18kg) ...is my cage too small?!

Depends on how much time he spends in it I would say and how much total space he has plus if he is an indoor or outdoor bunny. If you have a pen or run attached that is less than 10ft by 5ft I would probably say that it is too small.

The bigger the better but as long as he's not cramped in it and has constant access to space outside it so he can binky etc. Could you extend it in any way?

When I bought Dwight I was told he was a Holland which means I didnt think to by a huge cage/hutch, but it turns out he is a French (I believe) ...I was thinking about making him a new cage, but I love the one he has now, but im worried its too small.

The dimensions are 42"L 18.5"W and 20"H (106.7cm L x 47cm W x 50.8cm x H) (he also has a 2nd floor ramp thing)
He's 6.5-7lbs (2.95kg-3.18kg) ...is my cage too small?!

Yes I would say so. He needs to be able to make 3 decent hops in it without bumping his nose and to be able to stand up and periscope.
A large run needs to be attached too.
If he's an indoor rabbit and its just a base to sleep in and he's never locked thats the only way it might be acceptable.

Well then I guess it is too small! :( When I get home from work, I let him out and he has run of my entire condo till about 2am (my bf stays up late!), but while I'm at work he is in the cage. He is able to periscope in his cage and he can jump back and forth from his 2nd level...but I agree it seems a bit small...I would love to extend the cage, but its made of metal and I dont know how to weld, otherwise I would!!

How about using NIC cubes to extend? You could leave the door of the crate open and build a run around it and attach with cable ties or whatever you have handy:)

How about using NIC cubes to extend? You could leave the door of the crate open and build a run around it and attach with cable ties or whatever you have handy:)

Funny you mention that, cause I just ordered the NIC cubes off of Amazon! I was going to make and a whole new cage for him...but I kind of like your idea! We'll see once they get here!

Back