• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can I pay someone to look after my rabbit?

Maria786

Warren Scout
I want to go on holiday, because i haven't had one for over 10yrs! And would like to know if someone would like to take care of my (will be neuterd on the 28th march) rabbit. He is so special, my hubby said give him to a charity, but I have trained him and he is so close to me. I would hate to let him go.

I am going in the summer holidays this year............beginning of july to end of august is about the time I am thinking of. Although there is nothing definate yet. My rabbit is called Peter (picture in my avatar) and he is 5-6 months old. He has a lovely temperament and has never bitten anyone nor shown any sort of hostility towards anyone. He loves cuddles most of all (ground level haha)

I would like him to be free range as much as possible and not caged up......except night time ofcourse.

Have you tried some of the rescues and boarding near you? some charge as littlwas £4 a day per bunny!
Where abouts are you? :)

Have you tried some of the rescues and boarding near you? some charge as littlwas £4 a day per bunny!
Where abouts are you? :)

I have researched it and the cheapest one I have is (near me, wakefield) £3.50 per day per bunny. It will mount to a lot, my holiday isn't a 7 day or 14 day, it goes into months! So I am looking at nearly £200!

errrm.......I am not being funny but that's way over the top. Or maybe it's me, they might seem cheaper to everyone else ;) plus they have hutches and my rabbit won't be free range.

If it wasnt when Im going (two weeks last wk of aug - 1st wk in sept_) id have had him if you were nearere - he could have been free range in my kitchen as my bun will be outside then (unless we have sudden freeze)

I have researched it and the cheapest one I have is (near me, wakefield) £3.50 per day per bunny. It will mount to a lot, my holiday isn't a 7 day or 14 day, it goes into months! So I am looking at nearly £200!

errrm.......I am not being funny but that's way over the top. Or maybe it's me, they might seem cheaper to everyone else ;) plus they have hutches and my rabbit won't be free range.

right firstly how long are you looking at? you need to say how long. secondly what area? also you are really looking at short term fostering not boarding to be truthful if its over a few months. you will need topay for all food bedding and vaccinations and also sign an agreement with a vet htat should any vet treatment be made or needed while you are away that it comes from your account this can be set up with them or you can leave a set amount aside for teh rabbit in case of vet needs such as a blank cheque with the vets or a credit card number. alternativly take out pet insurance with which the details are left with the fosterer to cover any treatment and leave tehm the excess amount. you also need to state which dates exactly so that this can be taken into account. x

We do bunny boarding in Barnsley and the £3.50 per day does include all food, hay, bedding, veg, herbs etc. A lot near us are a lot dearer (£6 plus for a single bun and you have to provide the food) for smaller accomodation too. We are fully insured and have 24 hour vet access. We do offer deals for long term boarding of a month or more. Whilst your bun cannot be free range ALL day (for it's own safety more than anything) it does have run access for most of the day and can be indoors in a large dog crate at night and can free range in our lounge when we are home, or a large 6 x 3 x 2.5 hutch outside to sleep in at night. Feel free to contact me if interested. Quite a few people on here use us.

Last edited:
We do bunny boarding in Barnsley and the £3.50 per day does include all food, hay, bedding, veg, herbs etc. A lot near us are a lot dearer (£6 plus for a single bun and you have to provide the food) for smaller accomodation too. We are fully insured and have 24 hour vet access. We do offer deals for long term boarding of a month or more. Whilst your bun cannot be free range ALL day (for it's own safety more than anything) it does have run access for most of the day and can be indoors in a large dog crate at night and can free range in our lounge when we are home, or a large 6 x 3 x 2.5 hutch outside to sleep in at night. Feel free to contact me if interested. Quite a few people on here use us.

That sounds fab! I wish you were nearer to me!!

If you've got nothing definite planned yet you'd probably be just as well to factor £200 boarding fees into your holiday budget - if you manage to find someone to look after him for the duration then great but at least if you've got the cost built in you are planned in advance. I guess it's just an occupational hazard of pets!

I wouldn't suggest giving him to a charity - rescues are overrun enough as it is with all the cases of unwanted, abused, dumped, abandoned and overbred animals, and they often have long waiting lists before they can take in animals, so even that in itself is not simple to do.

I do hope you can get something sorted so you can both enjoy a nice long holiday and have your bunny well looked after, so you can be reunited when you get back :)

I agree, £200 isnt bad for a few months :?

We are only going away for a week this year, and our boarding bill is just under £100 :? Thats for 7 days! So think yourself lucky :lol: xXx

Why would your hubby give bun to a charity so you can go on holiday? :( put him on rations:shock:

£4 isnt way over the top to care for an animal for the day.

I board bunnies and its £4 per day, and we have large 6 foot hutches and 7 foot runs for all day, 8am until dark. If the bunny is used to being free range then we use our outhouse which is carpetted and full of toys tunnels etc and the room is 5 x 5 foot for bunnies that are not used to cages.

I clean them out every single day which is half an hour, as i clean everything out, put them in and out the runs, provide veggie breakfast and unlimited hay in the price, and actually when i work out how much time i spend with boarding bunnies, i do alot during the day to earn £4

:)

i hope you find somewhere to board your bunny x

£200 is cheap!! I boarded my 4 buns and 2 cats for 2 weeks last year and it set me back over £400!!

Unfortunately that's the price we pay for having animals. This year we could afford a cheap hol away for a week but no way could we afford boarding costs, so we're just not going! :D

I'd also advise not taking him to a rescue either if possible as they have enough on their plate - unles of course they specifically offer boarding as a way of increasing their income.

Good luck! :wave:

I thought £3.50 per day was good value, too. Once you think about all the expenses - cost of hutches etc and take off the insurance, tax etc - people have to be able to earn a living.

I don't board - I visit people's pets. And charge double that. :)

Why would your hubby give bun to a charity so you can go on holiday? :( put him on rations:shock:

That's men for ya. He isn't close to Pete as I am ofcourse and doesn't see the point in spending hundreds of pounds on a rabbit to board it, he said just get another one when I get back.

eww, that thought stinks to high heaven. Honestly :roll:

If you've got nothing definite planned yet you'd probably be just as well to factor £200 boarding fees into your holiday budget - if you manage to find someone to look after him for the duration then great but at least if you've got the cost built in you are planned in advance. I guess it's just an occupational hazard of pets!

I wouldn't suggest giving him to a charity - rescues are overrun enough as it is with all the cases of unwanted, abused, dumped, abandoned and overbred animals, and they often have long waiting lists before they can take in animals, so even that in itself is not simple to do.

I do hope you can get something sorted so you can both enjoy a nice long holiday and have your bunny well looked after, so you can be reunited when you get back :)

No--charity doesn't sound good to me either, I appreciate what they do but Pete doesn't deserve to be dumped. I have been wanting to go on holiday for years now, every year there is always something to hold me back...... and this year finally we managed to save up to take the kids on holiday, I really need one.

I need to sort out my holiday budget now to accomodate Pete's boarding. He is too perfect to let go just like that.

Last edited:
Honestly £200 for a couple of months boarding isn't that bad at all for 1 bunny - in fact I think it's very reasonable.

If you have pets, unfortunately you do need to take into account boarding fees if you are going away too. Last time we boarded our 4 cats & 3 buns (which is what we had at the time) for a couple of weeks - it cost us approx £450. It's just something we have to take into consideration when deciding if to go on holiday or not.

The £200 sounds very reasonable to me too!

When i go away i have to pay £300-£400 per week to have my animals looked after, yes i do have a lot,but i thought i would share so others understand the financial implications when they take on mulitple animals.

Good luck with finding the right person to look after your bunny and i hope you have a lovely holiday, 2 months wow that sounds great!:D

Back