• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post-op abscess care advice needed please

giantbunnymummy

Warren Veteran
Daisy is booked in for her operation to remove the large abscess from her neck on Monday. Having just read through a couple of abscess threads I realise I’m not at all prepared for her post-op care.

Can I ask a stupid question? Do all bunnies have wounds that need flushing out after operations to remove their abscesses?

I’m dreading this as I’m ridiculously squeamish and feel very faint with all things medical, my o/h is always in charge of administering meds to our creatures, but as he’s out at work most days I’ll have to pull myself together and get on with it this time.

Another stupid question – will the vet provide the hibiscrub etc? Or do I need to buy everything beforehand?

I will make sure I get some sterile dressings and surgical tape from the chemist, anything else I should buy in?

Also, should the vet provide metacam / another painkiller for us to administer at home?

Poor Daisy, she’s happily binkying around the living room and has no idea what’s about to happen to her :(

Not all abcesses need flushing, it depends on the location, if there is any boney involvement and if the vet either excised the abcess capsule whole or decided to lance it instead. A lanced abcess should be flushed as infection will be highly likely to remain, most excised abcesses are also left open but on occasion, if the vet is sure they removed all infection, they may close the wound with sutures.

The vets will provide hibiscrub if they decide to use it but be aware there is apparently a high risk of soft tissue inflammation related to it's useage, I didn't know this until I asked around. F10 is another disinfectant worth considering.

The vets will provide you with any pain relief they deem necessary and she should also be on antibiotics too.

If you need to flush it other good pieces to invest in is 25+ UMF Manuka Honey, thin tipped cotton buds, a 10ml syringe and a flexible catheter tip.

Thanks Sooz. I hope for Daisy's sake the vet will be able to remove the whole thing.

I'll get everything in ready, just in case.

I'd definately make sure adequate post op' analgesia is prescribed :)
If Vet refuses I'd have to insist on it or refuse to go ahead with the op' and would seek help elsewhere.

Can you tell me where to get flexible catheter tip from? Thanks :).

The vets should have them, they are usually used in catheterisation for cats but can attatch to the end of a syringe to give deeper, more powerful flushing for abcesses.

I would rcommend asking the vet for metacam, even if for a few days. You could ask for some syringe feeding food aswell, just incase. I've seen sooooo many abscesses and treated loads in my own bunnies, manuka honey is excellent - v messy

Good luck

Back