• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grooming a wound

Stator

Warren Veteran
Joey has a bit of a wound on his neck and the vet has given me some solution to 'bathe' it in and some gel to put on after. It hasn't gone all the way through the skin but it isn't just a scratch either, it's more of a graze I guess.

Roo being the lovely girl that she is has started to groom his wound. Do you think I should seperate them to stop it? I don't know if it's going to help or hinder his healing :?

Also when the vet tells you to bathe a wound, does this mean just wipping it with a cloth soaked in the stuff? I'm not sure if wipping too hard is going to scrap any scabs that try to grow off :?

Is is hibiscrub (pink stuff?)
If so just make a weak solution and gently swab it on with cotton wool.
It's best not to let her lick the wound too much.

It is the pink stuff she told me to bathe with. She told me to rinse the wound afterwards so I have been doing that with clean water and then putting the clear gel on top.

Yep you have to rinse it afterwards with cool water :) Its important none gets left on the skin :)

I guess you dont really want the other bunny licking the wound, but wouldnt splitting them up make it worse because you'd have to rebond? :? I guess it depends how often she is at his wound. If its continous, i guess its best to split them xXx

I don't think rebonding would be a problem as Roo is very submissive and should reaccept him with no problems. Although they would probably be upset about being seperate for a while. It's so hard knowing what to do :?

Slight grooming shouldn't be a problem, I'd just worry if it was constant.
If you're too worried you could try to discourage it, distract your other bun with a treat or attention to move them away :)

I wouldn't seperate them completely as it would distress them if they are bonded but you could put one in a cage or crate inside the run or area where you keep them if she won't leave the wound alone

Back