• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

starting a rescue

teresateddyb

Warren Scout
hi ya

after seeing the bunny on freecycle today got me thinking about starting a rescue for a few bunnys/g pigs as there isnt one in the local area and i have the space just would like some more info on doing this do you have to have alot of money? do you need insurance?

any info much appreciated

teresa

Starting a rescue is a HUGE decision and will cost an awful lot of money. You will have to be able to cope with poorly bunnies who may need regular vets trips and cost hundreds if not thousands, people dumping bunnies on your doorstep when you are already full, plus you will need a lot of time.

Its great that you want to do something to help all those bunnys, but I would contact your nearest rescue (I think starlights rabbit rescue is near you but i may be wrong) and ask them about volunteering. Then you would be able to see exactly how much money and time is needed and make a more informed decision.

Starting a rescue is a HUGE decision and will cost an awful lot of money. You will have to be able to cope with poorly bunnies who may need regular vets trips and cost hundreds if not thousands, people dumping bunnies on your doorstep when you are already full, plus you will need a lot of time.

Its great that you want to do something to help all those bunnys, but I would contact your nearest rescue (I think starlights rabbit rescue is near you but i may be wrong) and ask them about volunteering. Then you would be able to see exactly how much money and time is needed and make a more informed decision.

thank for your reply was only thinkin of takin on a couple at a time might take the one off freecycle in get him neutered and vacinated and then put him up for rehoming

teresa

I had to search quite hard but managed to find this again:

What does it take to run a rescue?

Your rescue "kit" should include:

*A heart of gold to accept those creatures that don't measure up as "perfect" in the eyes of the rest of the world.

*The people skills of a salesperson to convince those that are looking for perfection that they will find it in a rescue rabbit if they are willing to look a little deeper.

*A heart of steel to be able to say no when there just isn't any more room for just one more bunny.

*The knowledge that you can't save them all.

*The ability to smile and speak rationally when the 10th person for the day says "I don't want this stupid rabbit anymore, take him or I am gonna put him down."

*Some medical knowledge or your rescue vet bill will be bigger than the national debt.

*The fine art of fund raising so your vet bill can be reduced to just under the size of the national debt.

*Patience for breeders who don't care, won't help, turn their backs and say it's not their problem.

*Patience for rabbits that were incorrectly placed and come to rescue with so much excess baggage that you think they will never be adoptable.

*Patience for owners who want a quick fix.

*Patience for a world that no longer looks at life as a gift and the lives that are created as nothing short of miracles.

*A sense of humor because sometimes a smile on your face is the only way to hide the agony and turmoil in your heart.

*A husband with housekeeping skills that are so outstanding that they could be highlighted in Good Housekeeping Magazine, so you can devote your time to all the rescues and be secure in the knowledge that the local Board of Health will not condemn your house.

*Personal rabbits that will tolerate the never ending stream of four legged orphans, waifs and street urchins that will start arriving the moment you say "I have room."

*Children that like being the "token" child to socialize every bunny that comes through the door, being able to say "good with kids" is a real selling point.

*Magician skills so you can change anything that comes through the door, from Brown Dwarf lop male, into Agouti French Lop female, easy to handle and litter trained.

*The ability to face the paperwork head-on and deal with it or someone you can send it to and say "Here, do something with this mess!"

*Grooming skills for those ugly ducklings waiting for their chance to be a swan with a little help from you.

I think Kris from Starlights was looking for some local fosterers a while back.

It would save you a lot of hastle if you could start off fostering and then if you still want to start up a rescue in the future go for it :)

I decided at the end of 2008 I wanted to run a small sanctuary... However I know this will take time and money and I'm spending this year researching and saving up so that I can maybe start next year :D

One word - DON'T:lol::lol:

Not really! Shame there isn't a rescue in your area as that's how we started, we volunteered for 2 local animal charities quite a few years ago (which we still volunteer for somehow) which taught us a lot of very valuable lessons in animal rescue before going it alone.

Good luck.

even if you take in one bunny at a time.. as i do seem to do it can end up costing you a lot even for a seemingly healthy bunyn i had this in mind when i took in coco who is 7yrs old. i have had him vaccs neutered a dental (which he will need more off) complications with neuter and generally new hutch run etc ... he had been quite cheap at just under £300 and he is still with me.as i mhoping he iwll bond and live with my mums rabbit the bunny i took in before him was stitch.. .vickys rabbit now it was very hard to find the right home for him as he was blind and needed special attention i turned down several very good bunny homes because they didnt suit his needs it didnt mean they werent good homes for other bunnys just not for him i was lucky vicky took him he was a darling and cost me realtivly little in costs around 22 for vaccs 4 for pannacur and vicky got him neutered thus saving me that cost and donated his vaccs etc cost. i am of course not counting the cost of hay etc into it or food and bedding or the things a bun may chew or the quarrintine period of 2 weeks or possibly other issue a bun may have hidden. be warned it could cost more than you think. also think about the impct it wil have to your family life if there is a rescue near to you then i would ask if they would allow you to foster for them i am deemed to far away from my rescues which is why i do take in the occasional "foster" bun. but if a rescue was near and allowed me i would prefer to foster even if i contributed the vaccines and the neuter costs as they would back me up for other problems that might arise. i would be opening up a rescue space and also it would make homechecking generally easier.

in relation to money i would say start with £1000 minimum to cover any costs in a pot you dont touch unless emergancy. and have £150 per bunny set aside to cover vaccs and neuter and 28day pannacur. you will need a quarrintine area for 2 weeks. will need to have a way of fundraiseing a team of volenteers to help you with homechecks and with fundraising adn cleaning out and space and time for the bunnys. set a limit as to how many bunnys you can take in and stick to it. i would also reccomend that you have 6ft hutches or 5ft hutches where possible each with a run for the rabbits you need to factor in the costs of these. also indoor cages/crates for recovering from op bunnys and bales of hay and bulk bags of food adn veggies. you will need water botttles for al lthe buns adn food bowls as well as ensureing every cage is celaned every day and that every new hutch/hutch ready for new inhabitant is disinfected throughly. have adaptable places to keep those who need cage rest or special attention. and be prepared for a lot of heartache.

He, you're very local to me (Chelmsford)
Seeing the fantastic work that Kris does, myself i'd find it SO hard running a rescue, it must be so utterly heartbreaking getting in buns, emotionally draining and then sad letting them go after you've given them a loving temporary home.
Also be prepared to dip into you own pocket, as fundraising won't always cover costs. :cry:
If you do take the leap good luck. I'll happily be along to help if you need me.

thanks all for your replys think i will offer my services to my local rescues as a fosterer first and see how it goes from there

teresa

As a starting point, I'd suggest understanding how annoying it is when people express an interest in a rabbit, so you spend time explaining the situation to them, and then you never hear back from them :?

Not only does it waste time, but often when someone publicly expresses an interest, others assume that everything is going ahead to an adoption and so look elsewhere...so the rabbit potentially ends up in rescue for longer...

Back