• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Aviary Roof

Amy104

Warren Veteran
I want to buy a 6x6 aviary but would like to put a roof on it so it can be used in the british weather. Any suggestions on what to use. I thought perspex but then it would be like a greenhouse if we ever did get some sun.

Perspex that is removable? you could put some of those clips which you turn to hold things in place to hold it down in the winter then in the summer you can just take it off :)

You want this stuff http://www.wickes.co.uk/Roofing-Sheet/PVC-Roofing/icat/rspvcroofing and it doesn't get hot, all my walk in runs have it on.
001-8.jpg

I use strong plywood covered with felt or bitumised roofing sheets from B&Q. Please dont use anything that won't stand up to the weight of a fox jumping on it :shock:

We used the corrugated plastic stuff you get for roofs of things. I'll see if i can find a picture.

Found it
DSC08371Small-1.jpg

Last edited:
We have bought the plastic corrugated plastic sheets for our run... (run is built - roof is going on it saturday weater permitting). I didnt think we would need to mesh underneath it aswell :? Its really thick and overlaps??

We have bought the plastic corrugated plastic sheets for our run... (run is built - roof is going on it saturday weater permitting). I didnt think we would need to mesh underneath it aswell :? Its really thick and overlaps??

Plastic becomes brittle over time and foxes will find any gaps unfortunately.
It should be too hard to tack some weldmesh onto the top, surely?

Ours is really secure. We dont have foxes around us though so wouldnt know about the foxy bit!

Plastic becomes brittle over time and foxes will find any gaps unfortunately.
It should be too hard to tack some weldmesh onto the top, surely?

It wont be too hard no. Id put it underneath, not over the top :? Just means another £50's worth of mesh as the run is 10ft x 8ft.

Hmm shall see what the OH thinks

It wont be too hard no. Id put it underneath, not over the top :? Just means another £50's worth of mesh as the run is 10ft x 8ft.

Hmm shall see what the OH thinks

Yes, I did mean under the corrugated stuff :lol:
I'm not normally a fan of chickenwire but that would probably be cheaper and ok in this situation.

Ours is really secure. We dont have foxes around us though so wouldnt know about the foxy bit!

We dont have foxes round here either :lol: The plastic is really thick.. we bought the most expensive stuff not the cheap flimsy stuff :?

Quite worried now... OH will kill me! :lol: xXx

We dont have foxes round here either :lol: The plastic is really thick.. we bought the most expensive stuff not the cheap flimsy stuff :?

Quite worried now... OH will kill me! :lol: xXx

I'm sorry to say people (myself included) often don't realise there are foxes around until it's too late :cry:

The aviary I have in mind comes complete with weld mesh roof, just wanted something to put on top to keep the rain out. Thanks for the ideas they are great.

Not bought it yet. We are hoping to buy a house soon so saving it for when I get my own garden. Be a shame to errect it in my rented one and have to move it.

Back