• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to persuade the bf to get another bun?

TeddyPatches

Warren Scout
Teddy has just had his op and I really want to get him a friend soon, he's still quite destructive and I think it would calm him down having a friend to play with but the bf says no :( he says they will be twice as naughty having two and obviously it'll cost more etc... at the end of the day if I decide i'm having another one he wont stop me... but i'd like to persuade him and get him to think that it's his idea lol :) help please! Can anyone give me any nice stories of couple buns, pics and some statements that they aren't more destructive?

Teddy has just had his op and I really want to get him a friend soon, he's still quite destructive and I think it would calm him down having a friend to play with but the bf says no :( he says they will be twice as naughty having two and obviously it'll cost more etc... at the end of the day if I decide i'm having another one he wont stop me... but i'd like to persuade him and get him to think that it's his idea lol :) help please! Can anyone give me any nice stories of couple buns, pics and some statements that they aren't more destructive?

well firstly i would wait around 4 weeks for his hormones to settle. then you will probebly find he is less destructive... then you need to start showing oh pics or get hm to go to a rescue open day to have alook he is bound to fall in lvoe once he sees the right one?! x

That is a great plan, he loves Teddy so he's bound to find another bun that he loves too :) What rescues are around me? (i'm in swindon)

That is a great plan, he loves Teddy so he's bound to find another bun that he loves too :) What rescues are around me? (i'm in swindon)

alice at windwhistle warren is in gloucester.. bristol rabbit rescue is in bristol. um hang on...http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/centres.asp you wil be able to find more if you know which areas are within your tavel distance.. i know alice ahs around 90 bun looking for home at moment not all are on the website.... im sure she would love a helper for the day to help with cleaning adn feeding.. boyf could come to lend a hand? and say hello ?(and subconsiously fall in love with bunny?) lol also there are several in birmingham im not sure which other areas are around swindon sorry! x

My Oh said no to another bunny originally but I talked him round and he loved seeing the two bunnies together. When we lost Graham he said yes to another bunny straight away because he had seen how happy they were together.

:wave: I have always found that two are much less trouble than one. They keep each other occupied and are less prone to destructive behaviour because there is always another bun for them to groom/play with/flop out with. My little boy Pedro is hyperactive and until we got him a girlfriend he was constantly running round the flat getting into mischief. Now he's quite content to flop out in front of the TV with his g/f:lol:

I have the opposite problem, i'm trying to run a rescue here and my o/h always falls in love with them and tells me i should keep them all!! Sort of defeats the object if i do :lol:

I recently had the same problem with my partner! We're both working again and I wanted to get another bun to keep our one company during the day. Always the voice of reason she suggested we wait a few months until we had a bit more money but I couldn't stand the thought of Smudge sitting in her cage alone at home for 7 hours a day...

I planned a sneaky trip to the local pet shop a few days later and she just couldn't resist the gorgeous little bunnys that had just arrived. They were too young to be sold (the shop insisted on 9 weeks) but we put a deposit down on a beautiful little bun that is now lording it up all over my freshly made bed! :D

Good luck!

my OH has always been ok about adopting new buns - saying "if you have the time space and money, it is up to you!" Then proceeds to moan about how much time I spend with them :roll:

Some days he pretends to dislike them... I think this is cos they ignore him - food, water, cleaning, cuddles, etc are all mommy's jobs.. daddy only helps with nasty things like meds, grooming and vets trips. This is probably why they avoid him :lol:

Then I catch him cootchy cooing Toshi, and giving nose rubs.. when he thinks I am out of sight.. Toshi then bounds down the stairs after him as he leaves for work most mornings! Awww he loves daddy! I think my OH is slowly starting to realise how lovely bunnies are if you actually give them the time of day! And are not just chores to be done!

I found the advantages far outweigh the small extra cost of another bun. Vets bills are the main thing to consider, along with how much spare time you have to help them bond, settle the new bun in and get to know her etc. Some things (panacur for example) you have to buy more than enough for one bunny anyway... (until you end up with 9 bunnies :shock: :lol:)

Extra work wise if you add another litter tray, it is just a case of emptying another tray and hoovering etc as normal. And of course another buns nails to clip, bum to check etc.

The naughtyness and destructive streak depends on the bun, if they are that way inclined :D If so they need things to divert their intentions like cardboard boxes/tubes/tunnels etc You can buy chew stoppa spray from PAH which does help.

If you pay the extra costs... replace any damages and look after the bun - that way it's not going to affect him, he can just enjoy watchnig the two buns playing together! He can't say no to that surely... or you could bribe him :lol::lol: I bought my chap a scalextric which he has in the loft as an ongoing project to keep him out of mine and the bunnies hair!! :lol::lol:

Try not spending any time with him, going to another room to watch tv, cooking meals just for yourself and only doing your own laundry. When he complains that he never sees you anymore and it's like being alone tell him that's how the bunny feels :lol:

Try not spending any time with him, going to another room to watch tv, cooking meals just for yourself and only doing your own laundry. When he complains that he never sees you anymore and it's like being alone tell him that's how the bunny feels :lol:

haha i like that advice

My OH said no too a bunny at first. Then we got angel then grandma gave them some money and along came biscuit. Then the toddlers from her first litter and mandy came next. Were keeping at least 2 of her final litter making 9.

Back