• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sooty Dilema! What do you think?

Netutopia

Alpha Buck
This is Sooty:

tn_sooty1jpg-1.jpg

tn_sooty2jpg-1.jpg

tn_sooty3jpg-1.jpg

He is a gorgeous 4 year old neutered male bunny, our very first bunny and we had him from a baby. He lived with Sweep (neutered male) for about a year before they had a huge fight and had to be split, then he met Syrup and they lived happily together for 18 months.

Sooty then got ill (suspected EC or inner ear infection), he got over it and is just left with a slight head tilt. He and Syrup then had a huge fight. I separated them and kept them apart for 4 weeks before trying to rebond, but it was a disaster, he immediately locked on to Syrup and she was terrified.

I have now bonded Thumper (who was in a trio) with Syrup and they are getting on really well. All of my bunnies are now in pairs except Sooty who is on his own.

He has got very, very affectionate and seems to be really happy, we give him lots of attention and he has lots of toys and a run attached to his home all day.

Should I keep him on his own, or should I try and find him a companion? I am really frightened that if I do get him a lady bun that they will get on ok for a while and then there may be a repeat of the pattern with the previous 2 partners. I cannot keep getting more bunnies - 8 would definately be my bunny limit :lol:

What do you think?

He is a beautiful bun!

I am not sure what to suggest - as you say if you get him a mate and they fall out you have two lone buns! It is hard to know how they are going to react, or what to do for the best.

You could try bringing him in and having a housebun - we have 3 of the tikes - he sounds like excellent housebun material - as he has a good temperament towards humans he shouldn't be freaked out by housey routines and people coming and going. He would love the extra time with you watching mum doing her chores and sitting on the sofa for snuggles watching telly!

Just an idea to try - they are really amusing and seem to be more affectionate and when kept in the house you tend to see a lot more of their personality and crazy capers!

Thank you for your reply - he would be a great housebun as he is totally litter trained, however my husband is allergic to bunnies :shock: he is OK with them outside but if any come indoors for any reason his eyes stream and he can't stop sneezing :cry:

We also have 2 dogs, a labrador and a bichon frise, I think the lab would be fine with him, but Lilly (bichon) gets very excited and we have to keep her away from the bunnies :roll:

I would have loved to have Sooty inside though, but I'm afraid that it isn't an option for us :cry:

He is right next to the back door though, so we can see him all of the time and he can see us and we pop in and out lots. :D

I think that as long as he is getting lots of attention and plenty of things to amuse him he should be ok for now.

One of our single male house buns started being sooo loving which considering he was a nervous chap was very unusual for him! He would try and follow me everywhere - like when I left the room to go to bed.. he would sit at my feet with his head down.. I felt so guilty! This was after his 2 hour cuddle on the floor! I knew this was when he needed a companion - and now he has a wifey they are so loving! He is much happier now.

I think you will know if your bun is lonely.. can he see the other buns?

It is a shame you can't have him as a housebun but he does sound like he gets plenty of affection and you are never far away - so I would wait until you feel he needs a wife - and take him on some bunny dates at rescue centres if the time comes :wave:

How long ago was he poorly? Did the female pick on him when he was ill? Sometimes they bear a grudge :roll:

I think you will know if your bun is lonely.. can he see the other buns?

I am reluctant to put him so that he can see the other pair that are near him in case it causes friction between their bond :roll:

How long ago was he poorly? Did the female pick on him when he was ill? Sometimes they bear a grudge :roll:

He was ill for about a month in all - they both went to the vets together and she was fantastic with him the whole time, even when he had to be in a cage in the shed as he lost his balance, she didn't once pick on him. It was when he started to get better - he picked on her :shock:

Silly bunny! :roll:

Another reason that he wouldn't be great in the house is that he is very destructive and chews everything that he isn't supposed to, despite having willow balls and lots of toys - he insists on eating his hutch! :lol:

Could you try him in with another of your pairs? I do think an outdoor bun would be lonely by himself..if you speak to a rescue I am sure they would be willing to take back the other bun of a bonding didn't work out

Could you try him in with another of your pairs? I do think an outdoor bun would be lonely by himself..if you speak to a rescue I am sure they would be willing to take back the other bun of a bonding didn't work out

Having tried trios twice, I am not a big fan to be honest, also 2 members of 2 pairs are bunnies that he has fallen out with and the other pair are french lops and about 3 times bigger than him :shock:

Perhaps I should keep an eye out for an older lady bun?

Back