• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dark poo's

stampz

Warren Scout
I have noticed through other peoples pictures that a lot of your rabbits poo's a nice golden colour.

Lola and Mimi's are very dark all of the time, but are a good size. They both eat plenty of hay with a few pellets and veg now and then...

Is this normal or something I should worry about?

If they eat plenty of veg and pellets eg. excel this tends to cause dark stools. Also not drinking enough can be a factor :)

The girls are on Science Selective about 2 - 3 tablespoons full twice a day between the two of them..

Do they have any grass? Alfie and Bubbles always have darker poos when they've been been eating grass rather than hay.

I'm sure I've read somewhere that the size is more important than the colour (but can't find it again now :?) so as long as they're a good size, then it's less of a worry.

eating plenty of hay gives that dark color and the size of the stools... the more a rabbit is fed on fibber the better, for the stools as well as for the teeth..

Back