• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Handout for Pet Stores

sidereus7

Mama Doe
I really wanted to do something to help bunnies, especially with Easter approaching. I decided that I would make a handout with basic rabbit information and hand it out to pet stores so that they will give them to their employees so they give accurate information to potential bunny owners. On a larger scale, I would love to get the support of my local rabbit chapters and and host some sort of 15-30 minute class for pet store employees on the basics of rabbit care. But this is just the beginning and I'll see how far I get.

What kind of information would you guys like to see on the handout?

So far my list includes:

Diet (90% hay, 10% veggies and pellets, and a few treats 2-3 times a week)
Average life expectancy
Importance of neutering (risk of cancer in unspayed females)
Desire to live with other bunnies
Housing options (need for lots of exercise)
Ideal owners for rabbits (financial stable, no small children, lots of free time for bunny)
How rabbits mask illness and the importance of vigilance

These are just the first things that come to mind, but I would love more input!

(Note: I live in the US and myxi vaccines and others are not available, so I won't be including information about these diseases)

i am also in the process of writing a handout that i was going to make downloadable and free on verious free ad sites so people a)looking for a bun could download...and those b) selling a bun could download for prospective new owners to ensure a good home.. unfortunatly mine has so far gone on many many many many pages and so am still writing i think each catogary needs to be a seperate down load or handout as possibly people wont want the fulll think. tis more like a book! email me if u like i can show u what i have so far? x

Sounds a very good idea:wave:

I would actually like to see pet shops stop selling rabbits over the Easter period to stop the inevitable "easter bunny purchase", but in reality its probably never going to happen:(

Back