• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

cutting back calcium...

ChloeLawless

Mama Doe
Lily has been eating cabage and kale recently and little bits of carrot. i noticed just now when i went to get her cushion out of her cage that shes wee'd on it and its dried a bit white and chalky, which i believe means she may have been eating a little too much calcium?!

what can i feed her to calm it down? do i need to cut down on pellets for a few days and just concentrate on hay?

hope someone can help as im quite confused :)

i looked into this ages ago and have forgotten what i found :oops::oops::oops:

i think if you feed lots of veg pellets should be kept to a minimum.. i think SS has quite a high content if you feed that due to it being alfalfa based???

i have also read that calcuim in veg isnt acutally as high as quoted as the veg has high water content and its the dry values quoted

sorry no links to back my theory up niether :oops::oops:

if i had to make the choice id lose pellets over veg :D

eta - but if your really worried the type of veg could be changed if itll make you feel better.. theres loads of websites on google if you have the patients to look tadahhhhhhhhh found one http://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/calcium.htm

Last edited:
My old rabbit had severe calcium build up. I looked into the calcium levels of the various vegetables. From what I remember, kale was quite high.

Back