• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Alfie is not himself

gillmanning

Alpha Buck
Two weeks ago Alfie stopped eating and was quite withdrawn. I took him to the vets where they said his body temp had dropped a lot. He stayed in overnight on a drip and had gut stimulant. They said it was probably because it was a cold night. I kept him and his partner indoors until he was better and back to his old self, eating and pooping well.

This morning he had he same 'symptoms'. I was out for most of the day so put him on the grass to keep him warm in the sunshine. When I got home he was a little bit more livey, but still not himself and not eating. I've brought him and Poppy indoors again and have given him some gut stimulant and recovery hay (as recommended by the vet). I'll review him again in the morning to see if he's eaten anything. He is pooping, but they are very, very small - I guess this is a good sign?

Does anyone else have this problem with their bunny? Alfie is a very nervous little thing and seems to freeze when I go near him when he's like this - almost as though he's in shock. He is happy to have a cuddle, but when I put him back, he just sits in the corner again.

Sorry for the long post, but I wonder if anyone else has this problem and can suggest any solutions. If he's no better tomorrow I'll take him back to the vets again. Thanks.

Last edited:
Has he had his teeth checked recently? Is he drinking a lot? Moulting?
Sorry for the questions!

Hi - he had his teeth checked a few weeks ago at a general check over. He's not visibly moulting but his fur is changing colour, so I think he's getting his summer coat and I've not really seen him drinking.

He had some veggies last night, but is still quite withdrawn this morning. I've given him some more gut stimulant. His poos were a bit sticky and some were stuck to his fur this morning - they are still very small.

As he is eating a bit and pooing a bit, I'll just keep my eye on him. If he doesn't improve today I'll take him to the vets tomorrow.

Back