• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help please!! regarding spay & finding out my rabbit has bladder sludge

ally_kizzy

New Kit
My rabbit was spayed yesterday & when i went to collect her the vet told me she has sludge in her bladder. I have looked this problem up on the internet & found that it mainly comes down to the amount of calcium in their diet but i also read theres no evidence to say reducing calcium in the diet makes any difference?? Does anybody elses rabbit suffer with bladder sludge & could you give me some advise on how i can help my poor bunny because shes really not been herself since the spay :(
Also shes normally an outdoor rabbit but i have kept her inside at night since the spay, is this ok? Shes my 1st rabbit so any advise will be extremely helpful.
Thanks

Hiya Allison as i said it wont help if shes not drinking enough,She will take a few days to recover from the spay its a big op and shes only a little bunny
Hopefully once shes recovered and drinking more it will improve

I've found a big card board box to keep her in for tonight instead of the carrier (its all i have) do u think she'll be ok in that? i also seen that she has more blood in her wee today :(

I've found a big card board box to keep her in for tonight instead of the carrier (its all i have) do u think she'll be ok in that? i also seen that she has more blood in her wee today :(

Yes that should be ok,Are you sure its blood? sometimes they can have redish/orange wee alot of mine do,If it is blood she could have a bit of an infection so needs some antibiotics

its more red than orange, if shes still passing it tomorrow then i'll take her to cockburns. she's not liking it in the box but theres more room than being stuck in the carrier. maybe i'm worrying too much, when tara was spayed it was so straight forward but then shes a dog lol

One of mine had bladder sludge and I have since found out that SS food has more calcium than others so I now use Oxbow. Also watch what type of veg you give e.g. Kale and spinach are high in calcium so only give as treats. Also try to encourage more fluids to help keep the system flushed. I have not had any problems since and it was 2 years ago.

I hope she is feeling better soon.

Thanks bunny babe :)
Yes please marie that would be great, i was thinking of getting a crate to keep her in just untill shes back on her feet again. Thank

Back