• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Urgent help please (update) He's ok :)

foofoo

Alpha Buck
Just checked fudges neuter wound and it doesn't look right, looks swollen.
100_0662.jpg

Should I take him to the vets? He was done on monday.

Last edited:
Its hard to tell from the picture, does it have pus in it? How long has it been like it? Is he ok in himself?

if he seems poorly, it has pus or has happened suddenly I would take him tonight. If you are really concerned its better to be safe than sorry :)

The removed testicle area can get swollen. I have had that happened to my bridge bun Monty. All you need is to get some ice and hold your bun, put the ice in a plastic bag, surround the bag at the testicle bag area for 15 min., twice a day. In 7 days, the swollen part will withdraw.

You don't need to see an emergency vet

all it is blood rush to that area from 1 of the blood vessel. It's some what common on male neuter post-surgery

No pus that I can see and he is well, eating drinking pooing, doesn't appear to be in pain. This is the first time I've checked it as I only got him home yesterday afternoon and I didn't want to pick him up because he hasn't been recovering well. I really should have checked it earlier I know.

I would still get him checked at the vets in the morning, I have never seen a castration wound like that before and I've seen plenty :?

Good luck, I'm sure it will be fine once he has been properly checked out:wave:

I would still get him checked at the vets in the morning, I have never seen a castration wound like that before and I've seen plenty :?

Good luck, I'm sure it will be fine once he has been properly checked out:wave:

Thanks :) I will still take him to the vets tomorrow to get it checked, it really doesn't look right to me.

it does look a bit ouch :shock:.. but no puss must be a good sign :D, the vet will give you some yummy antibiotics and itll clear right up....

i hated seeing Alvins empty sacks.. i felt sooooooo guilty :(:(

When Bernie came back from the surgery, that's what I saw (Previously I said it's Monty, sorry, wrong bun). After I hold him and ice it for a no. of days, it just disappear, as per the instruction from the vet.

yes, to be on the safe side, it's best to see the vet ; it probably is just an inflammation consecutive to the neutering, that might need nursing. I recall that my female had a similar swolen wound on ther tommy and it was all red when she was spayed, so my vet gave a special ointment to calm the irritation and avoid infection. Nothing serious.

Just back from the vets, she said it is a little swollen and not quite normal but doesn't need treatment other than the baytril he's already having, it should settle down soon and if it gets any bigger then he needs to go back. I've only had two boys neutered before and they never looked like that :shock: He's had a bad week, poor wee guy but he's started to eat his hay again and is running about fine so hopefully he'll be okay :) Will continue putting the ice pack on his swollen bit.

I'm so glad to hear that Fudge is fine! :) He has had a rough week, but I'm sure you'll spoil him to make up for it. ;)

Also, he has a very pretty coloring. Just thought I would mention it, as my thoughts from your photo went: "Ooo, that does look swollen... Poor bunny! ... wow, he's really pretty!" :lol:

Sometimes rabbits develop haematomas after neutering, after blood is leaked back into the scrotal sacs. Baytril and metacam should sort it out. I've seen similar things when a rabbit develops a reaction to the sutures or glue. :)

Back