• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Administering injections

capel

Warren Veteran
My three had their myxi jabs yesterday and were seen by a vet new to the practice. Every jab I've seen done has been put into the raised scruff, but this vet didn't raise the scruff at all..she just parted the hair using her thumb and forefinger and did it flat. I did notice that she put the first 10% (or whatever the percentage is)just under the skin and rest deeper. Both bournville and Fliss flinched when the 2nd lot went in and I wonder if the method she used was wrong, or just different.

When Graham had his myxi it went into the base of his ear, when a different vet but at the same surgery did Strawberrys she did the majority of it into the scruff then the last bit just under the skin.

When Kevin did it he used both..sometimes some in the ear and then the scruff or sometimes all in the scruff in two quick lots. That's not the issue though... usually the vet sort of "Tents" the scruff before injecting into it, but this one didn't... if anything she tightened the skin along the buns' bodies and injected then. Wouldn't that be more painful?

When Kevin did it he used both..sometimes some in the ear and then the scruff or sometimes all in the scruff in two quick lots. That's not the issue though... usually the vet sort of "Tents" the scruff before injecting into it, but this one didn't... if anything she tightened the skin along the buns' bodies and injected then. Wouldn't that be more painful?

I would think it'd certainly sting more. Vet wont want to be doing a VHD Vacc like that as the oil based vaccine can cause a really nasty skin reaction if it does not go deep enough. Baytril could be a prob too. :?

When they go back for their VHD in a fortnight I'll make sure I don't see that vet, just in case. F&B definitely felt it go in:( and they've never, ever flinched before.)

Back