• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Paint a new Hutch floor

gobezza

New Kit
Hello, I'm panelling a shed out using 9mm ply for our 2 rabbits and I'm concerned about the ply soaking up wee and stuff and starting to smell.

All the hutches I have looked at have a black paint on the floors and say it helps with cleaning.

Does anyone know what sort of paint it is and where I can get it from?

Thanks

don't know about the paint but we use a piece of vinyl at the bottom of our hutch which makes cleaning easier (though they - almost always - pee in their litter tray anyway).

You could use wood preservative, preferably I would use some floor vinyl, either as tiles or better still a nice large sheet which has battens put around the edge to stop the rabbits chewing it.

I would use floor vinal with the edges covered in a sacrificial strip of wood or proper kitchen floor tiles......any paint will get corroded by months of scratching, binkies and bunny wee which is very corrosive!

Cuprinol Garden Shades are safe for rabbits and can be purchased in B&Q.

I'm not sure what is the best floor at the moment. I tried a plastic covering to make it easier to clean but their feet tend to slip on them.

Hmm... one of my foster hutches has the floor painted. I think it does help preserve the wood :? The cage with the floor painted is in better condition than my cage with the lino :?

Back