• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

buster isn't eating after op

busterandme

Warren Scout
Hi everyone, I'm new here so sorry to introduce myself in this way! I'm Jos and my bun is called Buster.
Buster is a 4yo dwarf lop (I suspect; really he is probably a bit of everything!) who suffers with spurs on his back teeth that I get clipped every 3 to 4 months.
He has had a GA about 6 times now, maybe more, and this time he has reacted really badly. He is usually back to his old self by now, but last night he was still completely dazed and he is very quiet today. He has so far eaten half a carrot and drunk about 50ml of water but shows no interest in dry food. So I have just got back from the vets with "Recovery" and a syringe. He doesn't seem very lethargic but certainly isn't perky. How worried should I be? He has never been like this before. Please can anyone help I am so worried! Thank you xxx

Keep tempting him with juicy greens, dandelion leaves and fresh grass etc.
What pain relieve did he have and when?
Is he pooing?

I agree with lilibun, keep trying to tempt him with anything you can. Go to a supermarket and get a range of fresh herbs, kale, spinach, spring greens etc. Grate some carrots too as he may find that easier if his teeth are sore.

You could also try to mash some of his pellets in warm water.

Leave him a bowl of water to drink out of rather than a bottle and keep him nice and warm.

Was he given a gut stimulant and painkiller?

He hasn't pooed yet but has had a three wees! I am not aware of any pain relief given, and all I was sent home with was some Baytril because he was a bit sneezy, but they said that is probably related to the teeth problem. He has another carrot but doen't seem to care and doesn't like being syringe fed. He did however seem more bouncy when he was trying to avoid being syringe fed.
He was given an injection to get his tummy moving again too

So long as he's eating something i wouldn't syringe feed him as it might put him off eating by himself. Carrot is quite high in calories so should keep him going. I would ring the vet as soon as they open to check that he was given pain relief. If he's still not eating well I would book him in for a checkup and pain relief injection tomorrow

Thank you for all your advice :)
Strangely enough, Buster has been quite happily chewing on some cardboard, but still doesn't really want dry food.
He has now eaten a piece of brocolli but no sign of poos yet. I'll keep a close eye on him and give the vet a call in the morning to check up about the painkiller.

Yes go back to the vet and ask for Metoclopramide to be given along with a fresh pain killer. If your vets don't use Metoclopramide in rabbits then I think it's time to find a new vet. It should get him pooing again.

Yep, I agree he should be seen by the vet to help get things moving and a painkiller.

Stop by the shops and get lots of tempting herbs and veg etc to try to get him eating again. He may be off his pellets for a couple of days if his mouth is sore.

was told to keep going with the Recovery until tomorrow a.m., and if no change to run him back down there tomorrow p.m.
He had an injection for his tummy and there is slight success... he has had some poos (although it was stuck in his tail) and has nibbled at brocolli and crust of granary. I am unsure whether or not he has gone for the dry stuff but think he might have picked at it. should I keep forcing it or just let him do his thing? seems much bouncier too

Try giving him a little dry porridge oats, I give it to the buns when they are poorly and they always eat it. Not too much though as it will swell in their stomach.

Buster has had nearly half of a bowl of food today and is now pooing quite normal looking poos. I have also found out that he really likes parsley and hates basil! Will keep monitoring him closely over the weekend but it is looking like he is out of the woods... :D oh, and also the porridge oats worked a treat!

Back