• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Free range indoors

Texas

Young Bun
Hi everybody!

I´d like to see set-ups for free range bunnies indoors. I know there´s been threads like this before, but I can´t find any now that I started looking...

Please show me some pics of your set-ups!

No Pics but I can describe..

Toshi Bunny - has a puppy crate with a blankey, water bottle and toys. Then the bottom of the airing cupboard with his litter box (underbed storage box without the lid) and hay, another blankey and a carrot carousel/tree/toy thing with some empty tissue boxes hanging off it to chew/play with. He also has a blankey on the floor under our bed and a cat/dog squishy bed where he eats his pellets. We have a matress protector over the bed in the day as he has had a tummy episode! But he loves to lie on the bed, on another of his many blankets! He plays on the landing where we have a litter box inside a faux leather storage box with a hole cut in the side.
He plays in the lounge again with another litter box - and he loves to sit on the chair at the dining table watching us, watching TV! He is free range in our/his room and supervised playing in the lounge/landing/stairs. Although he is allowed in every room he has his faves!

Crackers & Flossie - 4 panels of an xpen with 2 underbed storage boxes as litter trays and their hay and water, rag rugs and carpet tiles to chill on outside of the xpen and eat their pellets/veg on, blankeys, a cats sofa bed, a cats scratchy triangle toy with string ball removed!, an ikea footstool/pouffe - their lookout post :), a metal shelf unit they play/sleep under (1 & 1/2 feet head clearance!) we adjusted the bottom shelf to give them extra floor space and a hidey hole! Free range in their room - supervised access to landing/stairs/lounge. Again they are allowed in all other rooms but Flossie loves to drop some presents for me in the bathroom - she is ok everywhere else just the bathroom so access is limited at times so I do not have to hop over the poops so sort the dirty washing out! Although I guess it is the right place to do poops!

In the warmer weather they have playtime on the bunny-proof patio area!

All rooms have cable protectors on all wires, all breakables are moved out of bunny reach, no sharp items, waste paper bins out of reach, toilet seats always down just incase, and all edible items (including your purse etc) way above bunny reach! Anything you do not want to be chewed should be moved. No open windows left unattended when buns are out! Doors shut on buns over night and when we are not in. They aren't shut in their cages at all and are allowed in every room when we are in - apart from the other bunny room! (they do not all get on) Sometimes they even follow me into the garage (pet food and pet supplies storage no car in there! Trying to find the treat tub me thinks!)

I did one area at a time starting with their room... then allowed access to each area slowly once it was ready, until we were bunny proofed all over - now I sit and watch telly and they just wonder round binkying and visiting the litter trays.. hopping onto the sofa for a fuss, or looking out of the patio.

I still sometimes forget to move magazines off the floor and end up with half an ideal home mag at times!! Once you get used to moving everything you do not want eating, and making sure rooms are safe for buns, it is great fun having them free range indoors! Luckily ours are not into chewing carpets (anymore) skirting (anymore) doors, furniture etc so I am blessed when I think they could be really destructive!

I can't stress enough - be sure to cover all cables with protector/cable tidy wrap (ikeas is great and a good price) even if you think they cannot get into the tiniest of spaces think again, and make sure all plug sockets in their "free range" room are switched off permanently unless you are in there. You can't rely on training and cable tidies can be chewed through given enough time (check them regularly) so it is best not to risk it. Always think just in case. (she says with memories of when she thought the baby bun couldn't get on the bed.. leaves her ghd's on the bed (off of course) comes home to find some ghd's and a spare bit of wire with a plug on the end! ARRGGGGGH :lol: My own fault! An expensive one!

Good Luck

Thanks for the answers!

Our last bunny RIP (a frensh lop) was free range and the next one (a flemish giant) will be free range too, so I know all about making my home rabbitsafe and all the misschiefs they can do. It´s part of the fun I think. I´m just interested in what it looks like in your homes. It´s not very common to have free range rabbits indoors here in Sweden where I live...

Anyone who has pics to show?

Last edited:
My lot have my spare bedroom to stay in when we arent home or overnight.. if we are home i open the door so they can come out into the rest of the houes.
In their room they have 3 underbed storage boxes for litter trays, some toys/wooden things, and some hanging baskets on wall for hay racks :D

030.jpg

Here is a pic of my buns little set up. They only use their cage for hay munching and to go to the toilet so they don't really need a huge space but i've tried to make it a little more interesting for them. My buns have free run of my flat when I am home which is all the time at the mo and have the run of the dining room where their cage is at bed time.

Back