• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Using Rearguard??

CHH

Warren Scout
We've got some Reaguard for our wee old man Smudge as he sometimes gets a dodgy bot and we want to deter the flies!

The intructions say to put it on the fur from the middle of his back to the tip of his tail, but he also has a sizeable bald bit underneath. Should we apply it to the skin around there too?

Thanks.

Please note that Rearguard does not deter flies. What it does is to stop any eggs hatching which are layed.

Have you tried to give him a bit of fibreplex when he gets a dodgy botty as this can help get you through one of these periods.

Other methods of deterring flies are citronnela plant / oil, mosquito netting over the run or a net curtain.

I always give mine two bum checks a day, even if I do use rearguard.

Sorry to bump this back up again.

Anyone know if it should be applied to his skin too, or just the fur?

Thanks.

Sorry I don't know maybe give the vet a call.

What is fibreplex, a human thing? How much can be given to bunnies. Snow hasa very unpredictable tum/bum he is a constant worry to me.

Rabswood

I think just put it on as the instructions say. Thats how my vets have applied it if I've ever needed to use it. They've never turned it over and put it on underneath bun. I dont know how it works but applying as it says over the middle back to the rump over the fur protects the whole rabbit.

Those kind of treatments need to be applied to the skin anyway. As long as the skin is not irritated or sore in anyway it'll be fine. The back of the neck is the best place to do it so they can't lick it off and stop it being absorbed!

Thanks folks
aok.gif

Back