• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunnies in groups- whats your experience?

natandfluffs

Alpha Buck
Just having a bit of a ponder. My bucks had a falling out a couple of weeks ago, and one rescue has advised me that it is probably not going to work- or if they re-bond in the short term, they'll probably fall out again. The two bucks lived with two does.

How are everyone elses groups? If they fall out, do they make friends again? Are they happier is groups, or is it best to stay in pairs?

These guys are my first attempt at a group, so its still all a bit confusing, and your views would be much appreciated! :wave:

I have a group of four, they were a two, then added one more and then another one. They all get one well together ( all all groom each other) they don't pair off but there is a definite boss of the group occasionally she does a little chasing but thats all. My group is made up of one buck and 3 does ( not related) and I have bonded them easily on neutral ground, never had any fighting, not sure if ive just been lucky though. I think having two bucks in a group can make it more tricky (obviously neautering is a must, all mine are) but there are people on here who have hhugee groups with multiple bucks!

I had the same prob - I bonded a six 3 bucks 3 does (3 m/f pairs) and two of the males have had a couple of scuffles and 1 fight. I removed the one buck - all are inside at the moment. I am trying again friday/weekend to re-introduce the removed buck to the group. Starting again in a neutral space with me in the middle.. as I am determined they are not going to fight - they are both biggish chaps and once they start the other male and one larger female insist on kicking off too!! The fight starter will be put in a carry case in the bonding area if he tries to start anything! Until he learns to behave with some manners!

I have read that many bucks have a loose relationship - chums but not loved up! They can fall out on several occassions but can end up having a proper fallout - when there is no going back.. certainly more stressful having bucks together I find! Scary in fact!

It is really hard isn't it.. I am making this the last try for now and if not I will take Broops and his wife out and let them live as a couple. Leaving a group of 4. Some of mine are related (mother/son/daughter) and I find the mother sticks up for her son! Strange! All are neutered but it's spring and with hormones raging - even neutered ones - my bucks are challenging for top bunny I think! I may try again later once spring has passed but I don't want to stress them out by forcing a bond that isn't natural or wanted mutually!

Your buns could make up but they can fall out over silly things so chuck in extra of everything so they do not need to share too much if it could spark them off again!

Buns - who would have em... we would :lol::love:

I have a group of 9 - 4 boys (unrelated) & 5 girls (2 are sisters). All are neutered & spayed. I do catch them all piled on top of each other in a litter tray or one of the hutches (they live loose in a room with garden access when I'm about), but there are a couple who only tolerate each other as opposed to being really close like some of the others.

The boys are all quite close - there's only one Boss bun (Flint) the rest are submissive to him, but Sugar is very much in charge of the girlies, so she's rarely snuggled up to Rosie, who avoids her. I've never seen them fight, & they do eat together, but I've never seen them snuggled either - there's usually another bun in between:)

ETA My boys are definitely loved up. Joey grooms them all, & although Smirnoff never grooms anyone else, he is always with Flint or Joey:)

Groups = trouble :lol: my lot run a riot togeather and i ended up having a trio and a couple and now I have 2 couple bun! :D there fine its just annoying rotating the play time :lol:

I had two pairs - two boys (unrelated) and two girls (sisters). The boys bonded really well and they love each other very much. They have never even had so much as a crossed word (touch wood).

The girls were a little more volatile which is why I decided to bond the boys and girls together. I have never looked back. Only a little issue occassionaly when Penny goes round each of them in turn humping them :roll: but other than that (touch wood again) they love each other very much.

Thanks guys... guess maybe it depends on the rabbits.

Mine were fine together, though the two does weren't terribly close and one would sometimes chase the other- but they did groom occassionally. I suspect its a case of spring that set the boys off, combined with the fact that Bubbles was always dominant (biggest balls before neutering!) but Merry is a bigger more powerful looking bunny- and I guess that spring combined with Merry realising that set them off. Of course it set the girls off chasing too...

How old are yours/ were they when you introduced. Wondering whether mine being 7 months is going against me.

They always cuddled up together, but I wonder whether Pippin is happier now without Wispa chasing her.... hmmm.... :?

Yea I too think it's the buns that makes each situation differ.

Ours are;
Female Rosie 6 years old
Female Madam nearly 4 years old
Female Smokey 1 1/2 years old (madams daughter)
Male Earl 1 1/2 years old (madams son/chap)
Male Joey 2 1/2 years old (Rosie's chap)
Male Broops 3 years old (Smokey's chap)

I sometimes wonder if they are too set in their ways as they are a mixture of adult buns - other times I think younger buns may be more difficult.. only they no for sure :evil: cheeky little devils!

I think I do not help as I am a territory for them... "SHE is MY Mommy..."

My 15 range from 2years to 9years, the boys are far easier than the girls who are a bunch of mardy moos who snipe at each other on occassions to gratify their sense of importance! :roll: I have only ever had one hop skip and clash in the air argument and that was between two of my brother beatles oddly enough who are usually the best of friends. They had a pop and then settled down together for dinner - who knows what that was about but in general they all get on fine - Jacob is the boss, Charlie is his hench man and Shadow is the boss girlie - simply because I think she is the mardiest of the lot!

Chloaster.. I saw the fat fluffs on your open day and they are amazing together... tell us the secret! Pleeeaaassee :lol:

Car Ride Together
Into a Neutral Space - plenty of water and food/hay
Separate any start of fighting
And wait...?

Or am I missing a vital stage? And how much space do you advise for bonding a group?

It seems a few peeps are having buck troubles.. I did think the girls would be the problem.. unfortuntately not in our case!

Back