• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Stroppy bunny

carolinevn

New Kit
Hi,

I am struggling to get my bunny to bond with me. I have had him for about 18 months - 2 years now. He came from the RSPCA and they don't really have a history for him.

Whenever I go to pick him up he backs off in the hutch, he also kicks really badly when I put him down.

Has anyone ever tried clicker training with bunnies? I have done it with dogs and would like to try it with him. Anyone got any other ideas??

Thanks

Most buns don't like being picked up, mine love to be stroked but kick up a fuss when you pick them up, especially when you put them down again.

The best way to get him to interact with you more is to sit with him quietly, let him come to you, when he does reward him with a pellet. Gradually you can build to to stroking. Try not to pick him up too often or he will just associate you with nasty things. If you have to move him, encourage him into his carrier with pellets.

People do use clicker training with bunnies with good sucess.

I agree with the above. It all depends on their backgrounds which you aren't sure of. He could have been really badly treated which would be why he is still nervous.

I'm inclined to think you need to define boundaries. After having a few nervous bunnies - I have learned that they need somewhere that is "safe" and is their retreat. Usually rabbits define this area as their hutch. When humans go in to pick them up - they feel a bit invaded, and that their hutch is not their sanctuary - as at anytime a human can arrive to pick them up.

I would make sure you only go to his hutch for positive reasons - food, hay, treat, a nose rub if he allows. Try not to physically pick him up out of the hutch. Also make sure he is away from the hutch at cleaning time. The hutch is their home and they need to feel safe in their home/space. Not saying that you make him feel unsafe - but you don't know what happened to him in his "previous life". It could have been children poking at him in his hutch or grabbing at him etc. As kids are not always gentle or backwards in coming forwards!

All of my nervous buns are only picked up for health checks and vet visits. They are let out to play without being picked up and go back in by being called. They get fed etc with nose rubs galore and I bend down and let them give kisses if they want to. I sit on the floor and let them use me as a human bouncy castle if they want to! I gradually built up to this - at first I didn't touch them just let them sniff/butt my hand. I decided they would let me know when they wanted stroking etc.

I think he just needs learn to trust you - it can take time but is worth it - I cried :shock: when one of my nervous buns flopped down next to me and let me fuss him for the first time :oops:

You could put a chair next to his hutch and just sit and talk to him with the door open and some hand feeding?

Have you thuoght about a rescue bunnny "wife" if you have the time/money etc as this helps nervous buns relax and come out of their shells. And there is no better company than another bunny to snuggle with. :wave:

I have just gotten a rescue bunny and to start off he was a little nervous, he doesnt like being picked up to much either. i found though that he is more jitterish when he can see his cage and he just wriggles to get free but when i leave the room he seems to calm down.
i tend not to pick him up to much unless i am checking his bum and giving him a brush and i always treat him with a pellet (out of his bowl:lol:)and he seems to know now thats the only reason i pick him up.
i get loads of love from him though, he stays in my room with me and is awake at 5 (!) every morning and i let him out and he jumps into bed with me until i have to get up and clean out his tray and feed him etc.
My last bun wasnt a big fan of being picked up either, maybe you just need to get used to getting love from your bun from floor level.

I agree with the above. It all depends on their backgrounds which you aren't sure of. He could have been really badly treated which would be why he is still nervous.

I'm inclined to think you need to define boundaries. After having a few nervous bunnies - I have learned that they need somewhere that is "safe" and is their retreat. Usually rabbits define this area as their hutch. When humans go in to pick them up - they feel a bit invaded, and that their hutch is not their sanctuary - as at anytime a human can arrive to pick them up.

I would make sure you only go to his hutch for positive reasons - food, hay, treat, a nose rub if he allows. Try not to physically pick him up out of the hutch. Also make sure he is away from the hutch at cleaning time. The hutch is their home and they need to feel safe in their home/space. Not saying that you make him feel unsafe - but you don't know what happened to him in his "previous life". It could have been children poking at him in his hutch or grabbing at him etc. As kids are not always gentle or backwards in coming forwards!

All of my nervous buns are only picked up for health checks and vet visits. They are let out to play without being picked up and go back in by being called. They get fed etc with nose rubs galore and I bend down and let them give kisses if they want to. I sit on the floor and let them use me as a human bouncy castle if they want to! I gradually built up to this - at first I didn't touch them just let them sniff/butt my hand. I decided they would let me know when they wanted stroking etc.

I think he just needs learn to trust you - it can take time but is worth it - I cried :shock: when one of my nervous buns flopped down next to me and let me fuss him for the first time :oops:

You could put a chair next to his hutch and just sit and talk to him with the door open and some hand feeding?

Have you thuoght about a rescue bunnny "wife" if you have the time/money etc as this helps nervous buns relax and come out of their shells. And there is no better company than another bunny to snuggle with. :wave:

This is fabulous advice. I do almost exactly that with my new little one. She had a rough start so I have to take it extra slow with her but already I can see her starting to trust me and I've only had her for going on 2 weeks.

I have to hold her to check her spay stitches but I'm very gentle and quick when I check her. She hops into her nesting box and I lift that out of her crate and put it on my bed (she sleeps in my room). I take the lid off and let her take her time about hopping out. She has a little hop around on my bed and that's been our bonding time (yes I'm a bunny sook). She has started to climb on me and sniff and butt my hands, she lets me stroke her for longer periods of time - she is partial to botty scratches and back rubs, lol. I've not tried to pick her up though, apart from checking her stitches. That can wait, she'll learn to trust me in her own time.

Slow and steady wins the race.

Really amazing advice in this thread. I couldn't have said it better myself.

I would just add a little something that ended up working well for me. My vet recommended that I handle my rabbit more because he was such a fuss at the vets. So for a few days, I would pick him up and put him in my lap, but he really hated this. So instead, I laid down in my bed, and put him under the sheets. I would raise up my knees so it made a little tent for him.

At first, he would explore, and then finally settle at the end towards my feet. But the more we did this, he would inch slowly upwards. Walk a couple steps, settle near my knee. Walk a couple steps, settle near my hip. Eventually, he would rest his head on my shoulder, with his body between my arm and my side, and I would stroke him for a long long time. If I stopped, he would demand I start again. Eventually, he would flop on his side next to me and just zone out.

I'm not a fan of "forced" bonding, but we were always working in a larger space, as he has free run of my studio apartment. Once I gave him a chance to work with me in a smaller place, he realized I wasn't really after him, and I just wanted to be near him more often.

Now he jumps up on the bed when I'm sleeping! Not sure if this is the best advice after all... :lol:

Back