• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

its made me feel sick........

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
:cry: bathing caspers mouth tonite we were absolutely horrified to see its massively swollen and distorted with pus from the tooth root abscess..its awful poor wee mite.....its right along the line of where his botom lip once was....which now makes me think maybe it was an abscess to begin with and turned his lip necrotic and drop off..the guy who supposedly found him in the carpark behind the vets..yep dumped him in a crisp box and said here found this and walke doff..bun was dry and clean..car park was in heavy rain:?:evil:

so perhaps this poor little fella has been suffering form this as a source all along..even we were fooled..omg...
hes booked in for his op to have his teeth removed to get to the abscess and sortout the sudden crossing of his teeth....but its on tuesday next week:shock:

im gonna have to ring the hospital first thing to get them to book him in at our vets where bif n hunnybunny are going for their jabs tomorrow...oh my......

or ill take them for their jabs then come right back and rush him to shedfield in taxi.......he cant be left like this now..ellen didnt want to go too fast cos hed just had his myxi jab when she diagnosed the abscess......no choice now..

oh please send vibes for this poor little chap..weve only had him a few weeks now...we know its dicey and if he makes it through the op we dont know what lays ahead..and hes not able to be neutered until the infection goes..if it ever does:cry:

Oh poor little Casper :(

I'm not worried about him though because he's got a great, fantastic bunny mummy who will take very good care of him :)

I'm more worried about you Bumble - hang in there and keep us posted.

xo

Peter, Benjimen, Dylan and my family are sending out HUGE HUGE vibes to the fellow. How awful for him.
Will remember him in my prayers.
xxxxxxxx:love:

Thank you all sooo much. Please carry on sending vibes..the poor wee man really needs them right now....:(

yes im a mess...i took him on knowing he had one problem and needed extra care and that hed get something else wrong eventually but didnt expect this and not so fast. Lyn the receptionst is so sorry she ever said yes to me keepong me as she feels shes saddled me with a whole lot of trouble and expense.
We told her not to be so silly...yes like everyone else moneys tight but we find a way...always have always will...but i think we were meant to have him fate took a hand. And hes been so good for nikki and vice versa..she loves all the pets and esp bertie but she misses the close rapport she had with her woozle and her beloved oscar....so close to her. Shes got casper in her room alongside her bed so she rolls over to see him and hes always trying to get her attentio..he is loving having panacur and cuddles in bed and being allowed to run round her bed go for a snooze and also run aorund on the landing but he gets tired very quick as hes soo lively well was.....
hes being loved so much and is loving in return..hes a special little guy who deserves another chance at life and to see how it is to be loved and cared for.

Ellen said it had gone down a bit and it had but it was still very very full of pus...and extremely painful for him. She gave him a painkilling injection and hes now on a systemic course of flagyl until his op which he is still having tuesday as ellen still insists he needs to be at his best and the flagyl will help it stop spreading deeper but the only cure or hope of ne is to have his teeth removed and treat the abscess with flushing and gel/creams and systemic antibiotics..flagyl and baytril and see how it goes as hes already on flagyl and a culture wil be affected by it.

shes very worried about his frailty consdiering he was in such a state when he appeared at the vets...we saw him the monday and bandit died on the wednesday....but id agreed to take him on that same day...well i couldnt just leave him there and hed freak too many folks out bless him.

hes a very special little man and if he does die under Ga or the effects of surgery or the abscess has spread too badly..then he will go as he sees fit...and we will have least had a few weeks with this poor wee mite and hes had fun with us..and lots of medical nasties but lots more cuddles and freedom upstairs and tow cats he adores esp zuzu and she loves him as much well would do if he was neutered:oops:

We are all very worried about him and on tuesday i know there wil be at least 5 people on tenterhooks and two distressed cats........

no wonder my ibs is so bad........

i havent bathed his mouth tonite as i reckon her getting more pus to wipe away has amde it sore enough...hes got an ulcer forming on the triangular bit of flesh left of his lower lip too..we cant figre out how its gone down again unless he got lots of pus exude itself in the early hours i guess.

thank you all again and i still feel sick but at least i know hes painfree for 12hours...not sure about metacamw ith his history at the moment...will have to discuss pain relief post op with ellen..if he makes it that far..bless his little fluffy socks.

Oh Bumble, I wish I could give you a hug.

You are an amazing bunny mummy. You took on a bun that no one else wanted - and you did it knowing he has health problems. You've given him a loving home and every possible chance he could have. For the first time in his little life someone loves him. Someone cares for him. Someone worries about him.

Hang in there, he's got lots of buns and their owners is his corner and he's obviously a brave little chap. He might just surprise you.

Bless x

aussiebun..thank you..youve made me blush:oops:. sadly im not a wonderful bunny mum but i am working on it!!

yep watching him ave his mouth bathed and his antibiotics given well hes such a fighter...he even stood up ready for a nosey rub..he aodres living in nikkis room and when her chilli pepepr ligjhts go on he knows the big light goes off and shes chilling before going to sleep an i hear her tlaking to him for ages and giggling cos hes making her laugh..and she gets him out to hug him and let him climb all over her..he gets tired pretty quick last few days.

I am just so glad hes with us....hes given us as much happiness and laughs and love as we would never have expected from him and hes certainly very happy depsite his problems...he adores human company and sadly for the worng reasons..our cats company but he does like to play tag anyway with them..theyre terriifed of him as he is very rough with them and then tries to do unmentionable things to them..but hes had fun..a lot of it.

The vet has got me giving him flagyl..metronizadole twice daily....its got that bad..poor little soul..hes such a nutter and if you dont see him look up you dont even notice his mouth and osmetimes it just looks like he sort of yawning or open mouthed a lot..till you get closer..but hes still adorable to look at.

Thank you elaine....vibes vibes and more vibes...its firday tomorow and im starting to panic like mad tuesdays getitng nearer...omg..i must calm down.

Bumble I'm sorry but you ARE a wonderful bunny mummy.

None of us are perfect and we do the best we can with what we have and what we know.

You opened your heart and your home to a bun in need - most people would not have bothered. But YOU did.

You ARE a WONDERFUL, LOVING, CARING, DEVOTED BUNNY MUMMY and I will not have you saying otherwise ok?

x

i think all bunny parents who are willing to seek more info and advice everyday are good bunny parents..just we dont always know what we should or things in hindsight etc..but its the same with the humans in our lives i guess too;)

i dont have the money to flash around to take on other buns now..let alone one whos going to be so poorly and expensive at the vets.....BUT....we will find a way of budgeting money to sort things right for him no matter what. we always do. And hes given us so much back in return..hes worth every penny and he knows it...hes had such fund here even with the medication the bathing with hibiscrub....the panacur treatment the myxi jab and vhd jab....and the pain he is in...hes so forgiving and so happy and affectionate.
But ive noticed the last few days hes getting very tired very easily and has given up trying to eat hay altogether:( his mouths so sore bless him. roll on tuesday no matter what it brings..he deserves a shot of getitng rid of this abscess and a chance to get better as much as he can..and relearn how to eat like he did when he lost his lip.

I know how you feel, I nearly threw up flushing sorrel's abcess the other night cos it smelt so vile.

You are doing really well to keep at it though, he is so lucky to have you. I hope he improves soon.

thank you........the problem is i CANT flush the pus out..its under his tooth root..we can only bathe his gum and wipe out the pus in his mouth:(

hes swollen faced and purple today and squeaks everytime he has his meds and we touch his mouth..i gave him some metacam last nite and its made him sleepy but hes still in pain.....but he tried to purr when i gave him a nose rub before i came to bed..just a teeny one for a tiny while before his mouth made him jerk.

if i cant handle pitting him thru the pain now..how the hell am i gonna cope after? mind you by then the teeth will have gone..hopefully the socket will be flushable for two days maybe three....and hell be on pain meds at right dose!
Thats of course if he makes it.

i think im paranoid but it feels like the vets are trying to steer me away from having xrays done..saying hed only get systemic antibiotics for it........or in other words..youll spend so much money on xrays only to have him die on the table.......i dontthink heel die on the table oh no..heel come home and we will nurse him for three weeks or so and hell be in too much pain and we take him back and they will find its spread again and hell die or be pts in agony:(
i think i need to sleep or something..im a bit of a mess as 22nd march is anniversary of my dads funeral...and its mothers day too:roll:

i have given bertie an bif extra time this evening and had a bertie wrestle on the floor..dont ask..that rabbits nuts:shock::lol: bif was sitting a few inches away whilst i held a conversation with her..she thinks im nuts.

then upstairs to a wee mite with a smile with such an awful swelling and painful look in his eyes....made me cry:cry:

any tips id be greatful for too.

tuesday morning please please sendmore vibes....:love:

thank youxxx

Back