• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hi am very worried!!!

jcox

Young Bun
Hi I have a conti-giant and she seems to have become ill all of a sudden. She wont move (and she is normally very active) and her eyes have gone all gunky - she seems to be eating andpooing like normal. I'm really worried - does ayone know what might be wrong with her? I think I'm going to take her to the emergency vet just wanted to get some advice?

I know it's late but if anyone can help i'd realy appreciate it...

No advice I'm afraid but I would at least call your emergency vet and see what they say. Rabbits hide illness and pain very well so once they are showing signs they are often quite ill.

When you say her eyes are gunky are they swollen/red or weepy?

Hope she is ok

please call the emergency vet on duty..at least for advice...and get poor bunny to the vets asap......they do not show pain or illness very well at all and by the time oyu see symptoms its very often very advanced and like with my poor little bandit..fatal.
hunched up is pain..grinding teeth is pain..runny gunky eyes could be anyhting from sitting in a d araught or getitng dust in the yes..to dental disease to having an infection with pastuerella...be evry aware how fast they go downhill..like lightening im afraid.

lets us know how you get on.:wave:

Any news on this bunny? Did you call the vet?

To echo the other posters, buns hide pain and illness VERY well, it's their instinct not to show any weakness. By the time they are showing a little pain it means they are in a LOT of pain or very unwell and must see a vet asap.

Good luck!

clean up his poos and see if he's still eating normally. I agree w/ every1 else that the situation is serious. If it is a physical injury, say a fall, your emergency vet can easily help.

If it is a rabbit specific illness, a rabbit savvy vet would help but at night time, they are not available. So at the very least, book for a 7 AM appointment w/ a rabbit savvy vet.

Hi all thanks for all the advice - I ended up taking her to the emergency vet last night - she seemed to perk up once we got there and loved the fuss the vet was making of her. The vet checked her over completely and he thinks she has a minor eye infection (her teeth were fine, and the rest of her seemed normal he said) He thinks she may have caught her eye on something not sure what but he said her vision doesn't seem to have been affected or anything. I have anti-biotics for her and will be taking her back tomorrow morning to see if the eye has cleard up (it's only one eye - I think I saw the same eye twice and thought it was both :lol:) But when I got her back she started running around the lounge like a bat out of hell and there was the odd binky or two (maybe it was all the excitement of a trip to the vet at midnight)

This morning she has eaten all her breakfast and is currently tearing a piece of carrot to tatters - I will keep a close eye though.

Thank you all very much for the advice!xxx :D

only just recheckd this....phew!! thats good news..no damage..nothing nasty....and antibiotics given as a precaution cos its the eye....

lol i think they either celebrate being back home or reilef at not staying in or worse they get overexcited. Then again i get the..im staying away from you stare before they eat as much hsy as they can stuff in one go:lol:

Back