• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone else have a picky hay eater?

bunnytoes

Warren Veteran
It has taken a lot of work to get Julie to eat hay really well. She is doing 100% better but has a little further to go. Finally found 2 that she likes. She really likes Oat hay which I was told to only give in moderation because it is fattening. I use it to entice her to eat a better for her hay. This seems to be working as she accidentally ate the other hay and found out that it not so bad. She is still extremely picky about all her hay. She only likes the long pieces. She will not touch any broken or short pieces of hay. She sorts through it all throwing piece by piece out, eating selected strans of hay. Once she has thrown the hay from the hay basket she will not eat that piece even if I pick it up and put it back in her hay basket. Does anyone else have this problem with their bunny? I run back and forth all day giving her new hay.

Since I introduced mine to timothy hay they turn their noses up at just about every other hay I've tried, but I've never had one of them sit and pick their way through a pile of hay like Julie - that would probably be similar to OCD in humans!

Since I introduced mine to timothy hay they turn their noses up at just about every other hay I've tried, but I've never had one of them sit and pick their way through a pile of hay like Julie - that would probably be similar to OCD in humans!

:lol::lol:So I guess Julie is just weird or knows how to play us for the foods that she likes.........special treats.
I don't know about her being OCD but she doesn't care much for hay. She is a beggar for special treats and knows how to act as though she is starving to death. I give her a small amount of pellets twice a day and some greens with a little fruit as possible. But she has pathetic begging down to a science and acts like she is starving to death. She lives in the kitchen because it is the only bunny proofed room. She climbs on our chairs at meal time and tries to get right into the frig when it is opened.

Bailey my dental bun is a wierd hay eater tbh, i think its cus its not nice for him...

he will eat shorter bits though so i tend to cut it up abit, and he loves readigrass!

Squidgy is a very reluctant hay eater, but I give him fresh grass every day, so I feel he's ok with this.

my first rabbit doesnt seem to eat the hay that i give him he doesnt even seem to touch timothy hay, my second rabbit loves the stuff and wont stop eating it till its all gone. how can i get him to eat hay?

my first rabbit doesnt seem to eat the hay that i give him he doesnt even seem to touch timothy hay, my second rabbit loves the stuff and wont stop eating it till its all gone. how can i get him to eat hay?

Julie is still a picky hay eater but at least she does eat some now. I can tell you what I did with her. It was a long slow process. I cut down on the other food and introduced different hays one at a time until I found one that she kinda liked. I threw little pieces of dried fruit in the hay so she had to pick them out and she would accidentally eat some hay. Hay was definitely an acquired taste for my weird girl. She found out that she liked oat hay. I was told that it was okay but too much was fattening so I mix it with another hay that she now seems to kinda like. She still only likes the long pieces and when it is fresh. I return all the small pieces of hay to the rabbit rescue where I buy it. They feed it to for their rabbits. They try to pick out the long greener pieces to sell me for her.:lol: Someone else might have some better hints for you as Julie is still not the best hay eater. Glad to hear that Julie isn't the only bunny who is not crazy about hay. I am thinking that it is because she was not fed hay when I got her but I have had her for 4 years. She is spoiled and stubborn but the best bunny in the world to me.

my buns dont like the timothy hay, they are fussy, i bought meadow hay and they love that but this one i got the dont seem keen on. Fussy arnt they lol

i sprinkle a handful of "herbs plus" in betsy and thelma's hay, seems to make them more interested in it and in their quest to find the good stuff they eat the hay too :D

Back